Unfortunately, Contacts has Stopped

mawzi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Just upgraded to Android 4.3 through Verizon OTA. Since updating, my contacts app and phone app have stopped working. The error message is, "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped." I have tried several fixes that others have posted, including 1) changing the time settings, 2) clearing the cache and data for contacts and contacts storage, 3) unsyncing and resyncing Google account, and 4) factory reset. None of these solutions has worked. But I did notice that my baseband version of is I535VRUCML1, whereas my contacts version is listed as 4.1.2-I535VRBMF1. Thus, I was wondering if there is a conflict between the contacts version being from the old 4.1.2 Android and the new 4.3 on my phone. Any thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded to Android 4.3 through Verizon OTA. Since updating, my contacts app and phone app have stopped working. The error message is, "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped." I have tried several fixes that others have posted, including 1) changing the time settings, 2) clearing the cache and data for contacts and contacts storage, 3) unsyncing and resyncing Google account, and 4) factory reset. None of these solutions has worked. But I did notice that my baseband version of is I535VRUCML1, whereas my contacts version is listed as 4.1.2-I535VRBMF1. Thus, I was wondering if there is a conflict between the contacts version being from the old 4.1.2 Android and the new 4.3 on my phone. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forums.
You are most likely correct. To clear this conflict you can try clearing cache in recovery. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

mawzi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, I forgot to mention in my original post that I've already tried clearing cache in recovery, and it didn't work.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
my contacts version is listed as 4.1.2-I535VRBMF1.
That's not good. If wiping the system cache in Recovery mode doesn't work you can try using the Kies software on your computer to reload the firmware (you'll have to update to Kies v3 if you haven't already done so) or you can use Odin to reload the stock firmware http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2589314

Of course, backup anything important before taking this course of action.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

mawzi

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
That's not good. If wiping the system cache in Recovery mode doesn't work you can try using the Kies software on your computer to reload the firmware (you'll have to update to Kies v3 if you haven't already done so) or you can use Odin to reload the stock firmware [FIRMWARE] Official VRUCML1 tar file - xda-developers

Of course, backup anything important before taking this course of action.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

I reloaded the firmware using ODIN just as GSDer posted and the problem is now resolved. Thanks GSDer! Note: in application manager --- All --- contacts, my contacts is NOW version 4.3-I535VRUCML1. I'm guessing the conflicting versions caused the error.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463