Verizon Galaxy S3 on AT&T 3g/4g

Karmakaidan

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I have been searching all over the place to try and solve my issue and nothing seems to remotely come close to what I am trying to figure out. I have a Verizon 4g LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 running off Straight Talk (At&t) and I am stuck on Edge data connections. I understand that Verizon purposely stops their phones from being able to utilize the 3g/4g data from both At&t and T-Mobile inside of the US. With all of the rooting and unlocking and rom changing etc, I am pretty sure there must be some type of way to overcome that. I am very reluctant to switch to a Verizon plan and buying another Galaxy S3 is not an option for me. I really need someone to point me in the right direction to allow my phone to utilize the 3g/4g speeds of At&t. I have a Straight Talk At&t 4g LTE micro sim card so I know I am able to obtain those speeds. It has nothing to do with my apn settings because people with the same exact apn settings as me have 3g/4g capabilities. I am not looking for specifically 4g LTE speeds, but I at least want to get 3g is possible because Edge is just not cutting it. If anyone could help me do this I would be grateful beyond belief and you would make me the happiest camper on this planet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karmakaidan

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 on At&t 3g/4g

Looking at the list of varients on Wikipedia the Verizon S3 does not have the frequencies to run on the 3/4G on AT&T or T-Mobile.
Samsung Galaxy S III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And there is no way to overcome this? Is it something to do with the actual hardware of the phone??

My phone specs says CDMA 800/1900 MHZ
6zCZA.png

And on the list you gave me says At&t 3g runs off UMTS 1900 Mhz
6zD2Z.png

And the Galaxy S3 has the option to switch to a UMTS frequency so does this not help anything?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

CDMA devices on Verizon cannot be used on any GSM carrier no matter the extra frequencies listed. The a SGS3 on VZW has extra frequencies because it is also a "world phone" meaning it can work in other countries. Make sure to verify with VZW to see if the phone will work in the country you visit also they may have to change your account to allow you access outside the USA. When I went to Jamaica I called VZW and they added international to my account but the rates were literally out of this world and it would have to be an absolute emergency for me to make a call or text when I was there. I had access to wifi only in the lobby of the resort for $30 for the week. I visited the lobby twice a day to check and send emails...

Not able to switch between CDMA carriers Sprint and VZW. AT&T and T-Mobile you can usually just switch SIM cards. This is a big difference for travelers as some countries don't have frequency that VZW phones will work with.

From Tapatalk Pro on my Nexus 7 (2012)

Karmakaidan

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

CDMA devices on Verizon cannot be used on any GSM carrier no matter the extra frequencies listed. The a SGS3 on VZW has extra frequencies because it is also a "world phone" meaning it can work in other countries. Make sure to verify with VZW to see if the phone will work in the country you visit also they may have to change your account to allow you access outside the USA. When I went to Jamaica I called VZW and they added international to my account but the rates were literally out of this world and it would have to be an absolute emergency for me to make a call or text when I was there. I had access to wifi only in the lobby of the resort for $30 for the week. I visited the lobby twice a day to check and send emails...

Not able to switch between CDMA carriers Sprint and VZW. AT&T and T-Mobile you can usually just switch SIM cards. This is a big difference for travelers as some countries don't have frequency that VZW phones will work with.

From Tapatalk Pro on my Nexus 7 (2012)
First off, the Verizon Galaxy S3 comes with a micro sim port. Secondly, it's a global phone so you can put in basically any sim card and the only issue you might run into is the data. Third of all, the phone comes factory unlocked so you don't need to root, or call Verizon for an unlock code since its the 4g lte. I have no clue where you all get your information from but I have seen too many people say that it would not work with Straight Talk and/or At&t and even Straight Talk themselves said my phone was not compatible but you all were completely wrong because I popped in the sim card and got it up and running within minutes with no issues besides being limited to Edge data speeds. You are sitting here posting that the phone will not work on At&t at all which obviously it works perfectly fine as I just said in my original post. So unless you are going to give me a reason why the 3g and 4g will never be an option or how to do it, then please refrain from posting because all you are doing is providing false information that you probably obtained from some site that has information that is very outdated.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

good morning Karmakaidan all you have to do is add the apn for the carrier i have done it b4 and you will get hspa+ speeds use this app and follow the instructions use straight talk LTE apn although you will only get hspa+ i used a Straight Talk (AT&T) sim in my 2013 droid maxx phone and it works with hspa+ speeds
or you can use this link from straight talk

http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/program.php

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.tweakker&hl=en&token=4h372uLn

Mitwhitty

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

Hey Brian, I have done this and it still shows the Edge icon? Are you saying that I should be getting HSPA+ speeds even with that icon showing? Or do you have any other advice? I have the exact phone and problem as Karmakaidan and have relentlessly searched everywhere for a solution but the data truly seems terribly slow. I've posted to Craigslist asking for someone to trade me an AT&T GS3, I would even pay to boot. No such luck.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Are you trying to use your phone on at&t or straight talk (AT&T). And if it's straight talk are you sure you got a straight talk (AT&T) and not straight talk (T-mobile) sim.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

if your getting edge then the apn isnt right if you are using straight talk try 1 of these

Name: Straight Talk
Apn: att.mvno
Proxy: not set
Port: 80
Username: not set
Password: not set
Server: not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS PROXY: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MMC: 410
Authentication type: not set
Apn type: default,supl,mms
Bearer: unspecified

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: Not set
Port: 80
User name: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not Set
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
Press Menu
Select “Save”
Authentication type: not set
Apn type: default,supl,mms
Bearer: unspecified

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

i have the same issue w/ my verizon gs3 only getting edge...yes i have the SS at&t sim....i had the mms-tf.net as my setting, i tried the att.mvno one and only had voice with this one no data no text.

waterlilies13

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

This worked for my AT&T galaxy s4 but I don't know about Verizon. It's worth a shot anyway.

NAME
straight talk
APN
tfdata
PROXY
proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
PORT
MMSC
http://mmsc.cingular.com
MULTIMEDIA MESSAGE PROXY
MULTIMEDIA MESSAGE PORT
MCC
MNC
BEARER
unspecified

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

The GS4 and some of the newer phones (likely including the Droid Maxx) support hspa+ out of the box on AT&T. The GS3, however, does NOT have that capability. You're going to be limited to Edge only unless you're running on Tmobile's network AND in an area where they have refarmed their 1900MHz network.

chtipton45424

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Every time I change the

it doesn't save the APN settings.

Also, shouldn't it be showing AT&T at the carrier now that I've switched it to the AT&T Straight Talk SIM?

Cade Jordan

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Well I have the problem brian got I have a Verizon galaxy s3 from an old contract got the AT&T sim card in it and its running off att towers but im only get the Edge icon I assume its call its the up and down data arrows followed by a "E" at the top.. I have terrible internet and shouldn't have that problem I live right beside the inter state where 95% of towers are... if any one can help text [phone number removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Vijay Viswanath

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Seems a lot of knowledgeable folks. I am on a similar fix. Verizon galaxy 3 our of contract, put in an ATT go phone sim. Worked for a day. Had the screen replaced. Next day says ' SIM card is from an unknown source'. Did rest the phone after it worked the first time.
I am sure it should work.
Hoping to get some insights to fix this.
Thank you.

delgroso

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site

First off, the Verizon Galaxy S3 comes with a micro sim port. Secondly, it's a global phone so you can put in basically any sim card and the only issue you might run into is the data. Third of all, the phone comes factory unlocked so you don't need to root, or call Verizon for an unlock code since its the 4g lte. I have no clue where you all get your information from but I have seen too many people say that it would not work with Straight Talk and/or At&t and even Straight Talk themselves said my phone was not compatible but you all were completely wrong because I popped in the sim card and got it up and running within minutes with no issues besides being limited to Edge data speeds. You are sitting here posting that the phone will not work on At&t at all which obviously it works perfectly fine as I just said in my original post. So unless you are going to give me a reason why the 3g and 4g will never be an option or how to do it, then please refrain from posting because all you are doing is providing false information that you probably obtained from some site that has information that is very outdated.

I just got home from a verizon store and an att store, and you are wrong sir. Verizon samsung GS3 IS NOT LOCKED, but if u put att Sim card in Verizon GS3, it will not work. If u can tell me how you can make it work with att I'd be very thankful tho. A phone being unlocked or not locked in the first place does not mean it's capable of working on a different network. I have accounts with both phone companies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams