Battery drain - Media Download?

Dansole

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Turned on my phone this morning and headed right to the car and within 45 minute drive the battery drain was18% at the time.
Looks like the culprit was downloaded Media and google+
Can't find setting but I thought I had it set to I can't download anything unless on WIFI - Could the upgrade changed the setting?
Also I remember not having google+ running - is it possible that the upgrade turned google+ on? any important processes that need google?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-29-08-58-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-29-08-58-11.png
    182 KB · Views: 10

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Media could mean a number of things--it doesn't necessarily mean that something was downloaded (the icon can be misleading). A somewhat common issue is the Media Scanner getting caught up on a glitchy file in the SD card (Media Scanner runs after powering on the phone or inserting an SD card to look for media files and populate the various databases).

Can you show us the screenshot when you tap on that Media category? You can also look at the battery stats from the native Android system settings in Settings>Battery​.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's certainly possible that the 4.3 update turned Google+ on, and very easy to turn off again.

The media download would be tied to whichever app was busy downloading content. You could check the app for a setting that only uses Wi-Fi, or I suppose you could restrict background data (Settings -> Data usage -> Menu button -> Restrict background data).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This is a snapshot of the Media category
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Media app itself - that simply handles the download duties for other apps like Amazon MP3, Google Play Music, etc. You must have some other media-type app that was trying to download content, and that's the app where you need to restrict it to Wi-Fi only.

Or restrict background data and see if that solves your problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the issue this morning with Google+ draining a huge amount of battery life from my phone. The phone was down to 59% after about 50 minutes and Google+ was responsible for 63% of the usage.