Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default μ now first character of folders

A few days ago I saw my SD card unmounted itself and remounted, didn't think anything of it at the time, but it made my ring tones go silent. For the last few days I have been trying to get my custom tones to actually work without luck. I finally plugged the sucker in and went to the SD card where I had them. I had about 10GB of stuff on it except now it is reading just over 1GB. The folders I had in there are all empty and have a μ that replaced the first character. The 1GB that is on there is a LOST.DIR folder and everything in there is named file1, file2, etc. Anyone have any idea how this happened, or if I could possibly recover?

Default Re: μ now first character of folders

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster71 View Post
    Anyone have any idea how this happened, or if I could possibly recover?
    It's pretty common for SD cards to get corrupted on the S3, particularly if the content is lots of music/videos.

Are the file extensions of the files in the LOST.DIR directory intact? If so, you can just open them with the appropriate viewer and then rename them. If not - well, it's more of a crapshoot to guess what they might be based on their size.

If you decide to reuse that SD card, be sure to reformat it in the phone before doing anything. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ah, corruption. Thanks for the info.

There are recovery apps on Play and for a computer. Not a sure shot, but worth a try before reformatting if you don't already have a backup. When I tried it, the ones that run from my computer via a USB connection were slower, but way more thorough and my suggestion of which type to use.