1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIII versus wimpy car deck

My old Motorola Droid X2 would connect to my car deck (2011 Hyundai Accent factory deck with a "iPod" port) when that Droid was set for mass storage device.

Samsung Galaxy S3 now replaces the Droid X2.

On my way home from getting the S III, while driving, I plugged the SIII into the same port in the car, using the same cable as the Droid used.
    "Error connecting" shows on the card deck. I gave up because I was driving.

Last night, after I got home, I went through the SIII hunting to find a USB configuration panel under the settings (Droid X2 had such setting). No joy, found nothing.
    Returned to the car this morning, reconnected the SIII, this time I saw the SIII display a message 'connected as installer'. What? Why as an installer? Can I disable this? After all, the car deck is not running any Windows OS, nothing will install. The Droid had a menu to disable the driver installer mode. Can the SIII disable the installer?

When I pulled down the top menu, I have 2 options, but not Mass Storage. Neither option works with the car deck. Seems obvious to me that the car only supports .

I need that mode to be activated inside the SIII, but I can't seem to find it.

Failing enabling the MSC, I have no other way to connect the SIII to the car, outside of buying an FM transmitter, which will not happen. The car does not have bluetooth, nor any wifi.

Details:
    Hardware version I535.10
    System software is at ML1, installed it about 9AM today.

Default Re: SIII versus wimpy car deck

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmna View Post
    When I pulled down the top menu, I have 2 options, but not Mass Storage.
    Sorry, you're SOL - starting in ICS (4.x), Google removed Mass Storage support - the closest you can get is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol - ), which as you've noted doesn't quite cut it with older devices.

You can check to see if there's updated firmware for the head unit in your car; otherwise, if the head unit supports a standard AUX input you can connect a 3.5mm cable to the phone. Besides that, since the head unit doesn't have Bluetooth, your only option is the FM transmitter route - I've been pretty pleased with the Motorola Roadster 2

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Sorry, you're SOL - starting in ICS (4.x), Google removed Mass Storage support - the closest you can get is MTP (Media Transfer Protocol - ), which as you've noted doesn't quite cut it with older devices.
    Hehe.

So, just minutes into the new phone (well, the new Android version), I'm already fully alienated (the MSC omission and also the menuing arrangement deserves some major rethinking). ICS has all the power to please, but no intention of being helpful to the user. I cannot think there is a way to update the car deck... would you have any hints for that end (a factory Hyundai unit)? I can bet that the reason for MTP is based on the newer capabilities versus the original MSC.

Wait. How does an iPod serve it's files via USB?
    Last edited by mmmmna; 02-14-2014 at 04:03 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well, I researched updating the car deck, no joy there. Seems to be nothing in the app store which offers suitable service for the SIII. I'll abandon this topic from here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmna View Post
    Seems to be nothing in the app store which offers suitable service for the SIII.
    If you wanted to root your phone you could try SG USB Mass Storage Enabler: - it only supports the SD card though. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro