Google voice typing option is missing

Ra Do

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know how, but the Google voice typing option in 'Language and input' has disappeared on my Galaxy S3. I discovered this when the microphone on the messaging app started giving me 'No network available' error.
I downloaded Google keyboard thinking that may solve the problem but to no avail. When I select Google keyboard as my default, the microphone icon is not displayed even though I have selected voice input.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-22-12-04-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-22-12-04-31.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2014-02-22-12-15-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-22-12-15-11.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 24

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. And you have the normal Google apps (Search; Voice-to-text; etc) installed and enabled?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Whetstonedoug

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I found the answer to this for me. Don't know if it will be the same for everyone...lots of different "fixes" for this out there. I tried them all, I think.
I finally searched the Play Store for "Google", and the first hit is just named "Google". by Google Inc.
Normally, an app would say either "INSTALL" if I didn't have it, or "INSTALLED" if I already did. This one said "DISABLED". Clicking that let me re-download it, and AFTER I restarted the phone, my voice icon was back.
Guess at one point I disabled it, trying to make my phone work better without really knowing the repercussions.

axelgross

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
RE: no mic on the new Samsung keyboard.THE new galaxy S7 keyboard does not appear to have a keyboard mic setting at first glance. there is no longer a solution in the usual settings/language and input.
On the bottom row of the Samsung keyboard next to the SYM button is a gear icon (settings button). Hold this button down and you will have 3 choices 1. Go to input setting 2.Mic button 3.Clipboard. Choose the one you want on the keyboard and it will stay there until you choose to change it.

Buz Hadsell

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I found the answer to this for me. Don't know if it will be the same for everyone...lots of different "fixes" for this out there. I tried them all, I think.
I finally searched the Play Store for "Google", and the first hit is just named "Google". by Google Inc.
Normally, an app would say either "INSTALL" if I didn't have it, or "INSTALLED" if I already did. This one said "DISABLED". Clicking that let me re-download it, and AFTER I restarted the phone, my voice icon was back.
Guess at one point I disabled it, trying to make my phone work better without really knowing the repercussions.

This worked like a charm. Thanks. I tried all the others I could find. I think 8 or more with no success. This was the easiest and worked for me. Thank you.

I-Hate-Windows-10

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Axlegross - Thanks a bunch!! Perfect. I can't see without my reading glasses and I have big slow fingers. I rely a lot on voice typing. When my update hide the feature, and was in a bit of a panic mode.... Thanks again.

elheuste

Jan 31, 2016
Visit site
I have this issue as well , I'm gathering It's because ive disabled or uninstalled the relevant Google app (horrors! ). Which brings me to my question: how are we supposed to know each and every app and their interdependencies, such that we can know , A priori, if we can uninstall or disable it without future headaches? Is there a list or index somewhere? I have searched and searched , but nothing. I see lots of , frankly, overly righteous people posting about how many permutations of software and hardware there are making it “impossible". Honestly, there must be at least 50 such apps that we all have in common. ..starting with the entire Google suite. Surely there is an index somewhere? Looking them up one by one is prohibitively time consuming. Any ideas?

Pedro Maione

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I did try looking for an apk to install, apps to install, various keyboards... in the end your solution was the easiest.
Logged on to Google Play (on my PC), searched for Google, as you suggested, first of the list Google Search, selected my phone clicked install and in 1 sec it was already installing.
Worked without rebooting the phone, the little microphone appeared on top of the keyboard and I'm back in business.
Thank you very much for posting it.