Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy S3: WiFi repeatedly connects and disconnects with one network

Hi,
    I have two wireless networks in my house, personal and work. When my phone is connected to my personal wireless it keeps dropping the connection and reconnecting. It really kills my battery. When I am connected to my work network I don't have the same issue. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-05-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    ROM
    JT's JB CM 10

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 : WiFi repeatedly connects and disconnects with one network

Short term.. Check to see if it is defaulting to proxy server.. Long term.. Kies the update again and replace it. All should work better then.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 : WiFi repeatedly connects and disconnects with one network

Thanks but I am not sure what you mean. Check to see if what is defaulting to proxy server? My router?

Quote Originally Posted by pab61 View Post
    Check to see if what is defaulting to proxy server?
    He's referring to the Wi-Fi configuration for that particular SSID on your phone. When you're in Settings -> Connections (if using the Tab view) -> Wi-Fi, if you long-press on one of the SSIDs that you have configured and select 'Modify network config', then check the 'Show advanced options' box, you'll see a 'Proxy settings' selection.The default is 'None', but if you've changed it for some reason that could be causing issues.

I doubt that's your problem but it can't hurt to check.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh, ok. Yeah that wasn't it. I did notice that it seems to happen more when I am in my office upstairs. The router is downstairs. Could it be because the signal strength from the router isn't strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by pab61 View Post
    Oh, ok. Yeah that wasn't it. I did notice that it seems to happen more when I am in my office upstairs. The router is downstairs. Could it be because the signal strength from the router isn't strong enough?
    I'd suggest that you go stand by your router and see if it disconnects. If not, move away from your router and see where it starts to disconnect. That should give you and idea of what's going on. You can also use something like WiFi Analyzer on an android phone or inSSIDer on a laptop computer to get a feel for how strong your wireless is at various points in your house, and where neighbors might be interfering with your wireless networks. These client programs can also be used to pick a clear channel to set your router to.

Another thing is that if you're using the 5GHz. band wireless, the signal strength on that band tends to drop off much faster than the 2.4GHz. wireless band. In fact, you'll find that 5GHz. doesn't do well between floors, given a floor and a couple walls between you and the router. This can vary with 2.4GHz., depending on the construction materials in your house floors and walls, how many walls between you and the router, etc., but 2.4GHz. doesn't drop off with distance as quickly as 5GHz. does.

What I'm trying to say is that, yes, this may be the result of your wireless simply not having the range that you need. If this is the case, you can use an Access Point, which is another router that you connect to your main router via an ethernet cable (or MoCA or powerline networking), and it provides stronger wireless in weak areas. For example, if your main router is downstairs, you might try using a wireless Access Point (AP) upstairs. A router used as an AP also gives you some wired connection points, but the main reason for it is to boost wireless in weak areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoh View Post
    you can use an Access Point, which is another router that you connect to your main router via an ethernet cable
    I was under the impression that you could configure another router as a Repeater without it being physically connected to the first router - I thought you just enabled Repeater mode and configured the same SSID, etc.

Sorry if I'm off base - just regurgitating what I've read in various places (ex: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-extend-...uter-915783308)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3: WiFi repeatedly connects and disconnects with one network

Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I don't think it is my router. I was sitting about 15 feet from it this morning and my phone disconnected and reconnected roughly every 2 - 3 minutes. I am really stumped.

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3: WiFi repeatedly connects and disconnects with one network

Are the two routers that you're using identical?

Have you used something like Wifi Analyzer: http://market.android.com/details?id....wifi.analyzer to be sure that they're using different channels (so that they're not interfering with each other)?

Have you tried swapping the routers?

Sounds to me like your phone has some beef with one of the routers, regardless of whether all of your other devices work fine on it. Be sure you have the latest firmware on the router; compare all of the settings between the two routers - there's something going on and you're just not seeing it.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thank you, you have solved my problem. I looked at the wi-fi settings and saw that one router had the channel set for 11 and the other was on auto. I set them both to auto and everything seems to be fine. I have been connected to the problem network for over 2 hours now with no disconnects.

Thank you everyone who responded.