Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crabbz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Messages SMS App reduced character limit to 90

After an update this weekend, the Verizon Messages app (that I actually like) suddenly reduced its character limit from 160 to 90. I don't have this issue with any other apps - the stock app, Handcent, and Go SMS Pro all still have the 160 character max.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone resolved it?

Default Re: Verizon Messages SMS App reduced character limit to 90

Have you contacted Verizon to ask about that? Was there anything in the changelog in the Google Play Store when you updated the app to indicate that?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nothing in the changelog to that effect, and Verizon's support was of no use.
    I'm getting by just fine with other apps, but curious to see what happened here.

I had gotten an instant download when starting my phone several days ago. All it said was "Samsung Apps" in the notification pull-down with the downloading arrow.
    No explanations at all.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I see the same thing now that you mention it. It's odd, the limit in the first part of the message appears to be 90 but after you cross that it starts counting down from 145 for the second part, then 152 for the third. Maybe a bug snuck in. I'm not sure where to report issues with the app, maybe the email address on the google play page for the app?
    GSDer likes this.

Maybe they plan to introduce pay per use for sms and a shorter sms means more money....

Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

crabbz, I get the same numbers as you if I keep going past 90.

I sent a 160 character text to my blackberry, and it arrived there as just one message. I tried 200 characters and they also came as one message. I tried 600, and they also came in as one message, although it took a while for it to load.

Seems like the issue is with the counter first, and it doesn't seem to break up texts the way you'd think, but at least it works.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    I'm not sure where to report issues with the app, maybe the email address on the google play page for the app?
    Yes!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk