Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lkovach
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I find it amusing that there seems to be almost no interest on this forum about KitKat. By contrast, when we were waiting for 4.3, emotions were running high and tempers were short.

    Personally, I'm hoping we get it someday. Anything that will make the phone less laggy will be welcome. In particular, I'm looking forward to being able to use Google Wallet Tap and Pay without a secure element. That's about it, though (and that probably explains why there are no breathless "Where's my 4.4?" threads/posts!!!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-09-2014 at 01:39 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S3 and KitKat

    My wife is patiently waiting on a KitKat update for her GS3. She's not into smartphone forums so she relies on me to get her any new info on it.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by gwhizkids View Post
    I find it amusing that there seems to be almost no interest on this forum about KitKat. By contrast, when we were waiting for 4.3, emotions were running high and tempers were short.

    Personally, I'm hoping we get it someday. Anything that will make the phone less laggy will be welcome. In particular, I'm looking forward to being able to use Google Wallet Tap and Pay without a secure element. That's about it, though (and that probably explains why there are no breathless "Where's my 4.4?" threads/posts!!!
    I don't know what you and everyone else does with their phones, but I have no issues at all with my GS3. No lag, no random notifications when there was nothing to trigger it, no constant reboots, etc. My GS3 is working just as well as it did the day I bought it. I am annoyed, however, that we didn't get Knox with 4.3. I use my phone for work and deal with sensitive information and wanted to Knox to separate work/personal stuff. That's the only complaint I have about the phone at the moment.
    Bankokbob54 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by lkovach View Post
    I am annoyed, however, that we didn't get Knox with 4.3.
    ???

    I didn't hear of any carrier that stripped Knox out of 4.3 - which model/carrier?

    How do you know that you don't have Knox?

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    ???

    I didn't hear of any carrier that stripped Knox out of 4.3 - which model/carrier?

    How do you know that you don't have Knox?

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Verizon stripped Knox from the GS3. We have the processes in the app manager, but not the app itself

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by lkovach View Post
    I don't know what you and everyone else does with their phones, but I have no issues at all with my GS3. No lag, no random notifications when there was nothing to trigger it, no constant reboots, etc. My GS3 is working just as well as it did the day I bought it.
    My fiance has one and has pretty much every problem you just listed from the 4.3 update, plus the phone goes completely dead a lot of times when trying to take a picture now. She has to pull the battery just to get it to turn back on. Most everyone she talked to with one has had problems too and some are going with the conspiracy that Verizon did it on purpose to make people want to upgrade early. Don't worry, I'm not trying to be snarky and say, "Well lucky you," but she would rather roll back an OS version than update. I'm wondering if that's part of the reason people aren't so excited in general for another update. Verizon hasn't had a good update tank record with the phones we've had.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    My fiance has one and has pretty much every problem you just listed from the 4.3 update, plus the phone goes completely dead a lot of times when trying to take a picture now. She has to pull the battery just to get it to turn back on. Most everyone she talked to with one has had problems too and some are going with the conspiracy that Verizon did it on purpose to make people want to upgrade early. Don't worry, I'm not trying to be snarky and say, "Well lucky you," but she would rather roll back an OS version than update. I'm wondering if that's part of the reason people aren't so excited in general for another update. Verizon hasn't had a good update tank record with the phones we've had.
    I'm not saying the problems don't exist and I agree that Verizon sucks with getting the updates out. Like I said earlier though, I wanted Knox to separate my work stuff and didn't get it. At this point I'd rather upgrade to the GS5, but I can't renew until next year yet.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I guess I am not holding my breath on VZW updating the GS3. It seems it's about like the HTC Thunderbolt update. What a joke. I keep asking myself why I am paying 250.00 per month for 4 phones.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I know why I'm paying $250 per month for four phones, it's because I'm stuck in a two year contract out of which I can't wait to get out. Greedy Verizon, a similar plan on AT&T is $160

    Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I wonder what would happen if you called VZW and asked them why we would stay paying a $250.00 per month bill when we could do better at Att?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    But remember with AT&T you also need to figure in the monthly costs of the phones. The 160 does not include the whatever dollars a month for the phones.

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I also have a Verizon Galaxy S3 did the Jellybean update and now waiting for Kitkat. The only problem I had with Jellybean was that light coming on. I looked up the fix here on this site and that was it for that. Personally, I think problems with updates are a result of 2 things: 1. The phone has been modified. 2. The download is suspect. Could be poor connection etc, etc. JMHO.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bankokbob54 View Post
    Personally, I think problems with updates are a result of 2 things: 1. The phone has been modified. 2. The download is suspect. Could be poor connection etc, etc. JMHO.
    My fiance's S3 is bone stock, so #1 is out. The update was pushed OTA from Verizon, so #2 is very likely.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Everything that I've read says that we're getting the Android 4.4.2 update. You don't have to take it, as usual, but it will be available to you.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Just checked for a new software update and it said the service is temporarily unavailable. Think this means we're getting KitKit soon? I'm keeping my fingers crossed
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Quote Originally Posted by lkovach View Post
    Just checked for a new software update and it said the service is temporarily unavailable. Think this means we're getting KitKit soon? I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    I doubt we'll see it in the near future. The S4 still doesn't have it and I don't know of any S3 variants/carriers globally that have released this. If I had to guess, I'd say June/July. Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but am keeping my expectations in check. I now want it more than I did, since without it, we can't use the new Google Camera app that was released yesterday (though Google did hint that the Camera app would be released for non-4.4+ devices, too);
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    Got KitKat today on my Verizon GS3
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 and KitKat

    I'm installing it now.

Similar Threads

  1. Note 3 - Crackle and Pop noise when using AUX?
    By maybeamac in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 12:32 AM
  3. Rooted S3 to KitKat Update
    By CheviiJ in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 12:57 PM
  4. New nexus 7 2013 kitkat build?
    By bodum02 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 02:02 PM
  5. M7's Boomsound sounds richer and fuller than M8
    By sniffs in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions