S3 Owners How are You Holding Up?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering why you would even consider the BB.
The GS3 is still a great phone. Put a Ravpower 2250 mah battery in it like I did. Very happy with the results.

Posted via AC App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Will the performance be worse than my Razr M? The specs are the same and the Maxx HD is pushing a 720p screen. I am already having performance problems with some apps on my Razr M I can only imagine doing that pushing more pixels. Chrome is very RAM intensive as is Feedly.

The s3,razr m and razr maxx hd uses the qualcomm snapdragon s4 dual core . They should perform similarly. The one advantage of the s3 is that it has double the ram (2gb) compared to the razr m/razr maxx hd. So if you are running out of RAM then the s3 can help with that, otherwise, it won't really perform better. The dna should perform better with the quad core snapdragon s4 pro, but battery life would be much less than the razr maxx hd

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering why you would even consider the BB.
The GS3 is still a great phone. Put a Ravpower 2250 mah battery in it like I did. Very happy with the results.

Posted via AC App

I considered it because of it`s size. I don`t like big phones. Even if I was to get a big phone, it would be the Lumia 1520 because it`s beautiful, but I`m stuck on Verizon.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The s3,razr m and razr maxx hd uses the qualcomm snapdragon s4 dual core . They should perform similarly. The one advantage of the s3 is that it has double the ram (2gb) compared to the razr m/razr maxx hd. So if you are running out of RAM then the s3 can help with that, otherwise, it won't really perform better. The dna should perform better with the quad core snapdragon s4 pro, but battery life would be much less than the razr maxx hd

Ahh, so it is tradeoffs with all of them then. Hmmm, the Razr Maxx HD has less RAM but bigger battery, the S3 has less battery life but more RAM, the DNA has more power overall but less battery. If anything, the main problem with my Razr M is the RAM. Now I don`t know what to do.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Like was said earlier, the S3 can swap for a higher capacity battery. My fiance has one and loved it... until the most recent JB update. Ever since, it's constantly freezing and needing a battery pull several times a day to get it to turn on. Tried several factory resets too with no luck. The camera also doesn't like to work, causing many shut downs as if the battery was pulled. I've heard quite a few reports of others in the same boat after the update. While she did get Samsung branded higher capacity batteries, they seemed to die off quickly and were only going about half as long been charges after only a few months. So yeah, not exactly happy with the S3 in it's "updated" form.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Like was said earlier, the S3 can swap for a higher capacity battery. My fiance has one and loved it... until the most recent JB update. Ever since, it's constantly freezing and needing a battery pull several times a day to get it to turn on. Tried several factory resets too with no luck. The camera also doesn't like to work, causing many shut downs as if the battery was pulled. I've heard quite a few reports of others in the same boat after the update. While she did get Samsung branded higher capacity batteries, they seemed to die off quickly and were only going about half as long been charges after only a few months. So yeah, not exactly happy with the S3 in it's "updated" form.

Well that's not encouraging, guess I'll stick with my M.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you can get one that hasn't been updated and are willing, I'd say go for it but root it and edit the build properties so the OTA update checker doesn't recognize it and prevents updating. At least until you are ready to allow it to update (a feature I think all phones should have stock so these buggy and sometimes unwanted updates aren't shoved down your throat).

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If you can get one that hasn't been updated and are willing, I'd say go for it but root it and edit the build properties so the OTA update checker doesn't recognize it and prevents updating. At least until you are ready to allow it to update (a feature I think all phones should have stock so these buggy and sometimes unwanted updates aren't shoved down your throat).

I don't root.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess I will stick with my RAZR M. Thanks everyone for chiming in. I don't know if anyone's every heard of when you want to make a purchase then and there but you stop and think in it for a week and see if you still want it or not. In this case I thought long and hard and weighed the pros and cons and I got to say it will be more sensible for me to save up some more money to get a S5 or Ative SE for the fall semester. I am in college now and my RAZR M has been reliable. I am not taking any summer classes so I have a whole summer to make some dough to get a even better phone. Then whatever phone I get for the fall I'll use until my contract is up in Dec of 2015.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well that's not encouraging, guess I'll stick with my M.

In the price range that you are looking for, the phones would be similar in performance to the razr m you have now.