Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 Owners How are You Holding Up?

I was wondering how are those who bought the S3 on VZW holding up as I am trying to get off my RAZR M in case we don't ever see KitKat. I am currently weighing my options between the Galaxy S3 and the BlackBerry Z10. Both are available at $160 Excellent condition online. I am wondering how is battery life, signal strength, and speeds etc.

I use my phone for productivity (email, heavy day usage, web browsing, viewing docs etc.) will this phone be supported until 2015? Or should I go with the Z10 because it will for sure be supported for at least another year?

Default Re: S3 Owners How are You Holding Up?

definitely s3, and begin transitioning out of verizon, not worth it. Try metro, you get the tmobile towers.

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I was wondering how are those who bought the S3 on VZW holding up as I am trying to get off my RAZR M in case we don't ever see KitKat. I am currently weighing my options between the Galaxy S3 and the BlackBerry Z10. Both are available at $160 Excellent condition online. I am wondering how is battery life, signal strength, and speeds etc.

I use my phone for productivity (email, heavy day usage, web browsing, viewing docs etc.) will this phone be supported until 2015? Or should I go with the Z10 because it will for sure be supported for at least another year?
    Seriously, go for the S4. The S3 is almost 2 years old at this point, which means it's at the end of it's support. The S4 will still be supported for at least another year or you can get the S5 and be set for a couple years.
    eibbed0001 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by lkovach View Post
    Seriously, go for the S4. The S3 is almost 2 years old at this point, which means it's at the end of it's support. The S4 will still be supported for at least another year or you can get the S5 and be set for a couple years.
    S3 is cheaper.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Gcorr003 View Post
    definitely s3, and begin transitioning out of verizon, not worth it. Try metro, you get the tmobile towers.
    I'm stuck in contract until December of 2015.

I went from the Droid RAZR M to the S3 and I definitely recommend it.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    I went from the Droid RAZR M to the S3 and I definitely recommend it.
    How is battery life?

How is battery life?

It is great. Also, if you don't like the battery life, you can just take your battery out, and then pop a higher-capacity one in. You can buy a new battery for like 20 dollars.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    nj1266 likes this.

Had my VZW s3 since September 2012 and love it. NO update problems at all and battery life is awesome.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    A895 
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It is great. Also, if you don't like the battery life, you can just take your battery out, and then pop a higher-capacity one in. You can buy a new battery for like 20 dollars.
    That`s good.On a related note I just swung by Target for something unrelated to phones but while I was there I checked out the S3 and it felt real nice in hand. I was surprised the S5 was pretty nice as well. If only it was cheaper!
    neonworm likes this.

That`s good.On a related note I just swung by Target for something unrelated to phones but while I was there I checked out the S3 and it felt real nice in hand. I was surprised the S5 was pretty nice as well. If only it was cheaper!
    Have you considered the S4?

They're having good deals on s4s now too. The s3 is a good phone, I still have my old one. Samsung phones are supported the best out of all Android phones for accessories I think.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    nj1266 
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
    I dumped my BB Storm, and the email functions were better, but I'll stay w/my Droid. It will improve over time. Just thank GOD that it's not like the first gen Storm, that was a year of hell for me,.........
    Not $160 off contract like the S3. The S4 starts in the $200+ range.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by phoneaddict78 View Post
    They're having good deals on s4s now too. The s3 is a good phone, I still have my old one. Samsung phones are supported the best out of all Android phones for accessories I think.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    S4 and up still have a lot of value in terms of off contract pricing. I just a want a phone with at least 2GB of RAM because 1GB of RAM is frustrating for browsing on Chrome and some apps like Feedly perform badly.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Have you considered the S4?
    I have. But it`s expensive.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

UPDATE: Found the Droid DNA for a similar price as S3. Should go for it or is the S3 better?

Edit: Found the Droid RAZR Maxx HD too.

Edit: Found the Droid RAZR Maxx HD too.
    That's the one I'd recommend - you won't complain about battery life!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:

Def razr maxx hd for battery life.

The dna is better but much worse battery life

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    eibbed0001 likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Def razr maxx hd for battery life.

The dna is better but much worse battery life

Will the performance be worse than my Razr M? The specs are the same and the Maxx HD is pushing a 720p screen. I am already having performance problems with some apps on my Razr M I can only imagine doing that pushing more pixels. Chrome is very RAM intensive as is Feedly.

ROM
    Stock rooted

I still like my S3 and don't feel like it has battery life issues, but I charge it frequently and have never really put it to the test as far as battery life goes. Still, the Razr Maxx's specialty is its long battery life, so if that's crucial to you, that would be a big plus for you. I also have an Anker portable charger so that keeps me covered when I know I'll be away from a charging opportunity for a while. Check out in person both phones and see which one you prefer - both the S3 and the Razr Maxx are good phones.
    You know, I've never met anyone like you before. Usually when I meet someone new I feel awkward and shy. But with you it's different.

I'm wondering why you would even consider the BB.
    The GS3 is still a great phone. Put a Ravpower 2250 mah battery in it like I did. Very happy with the results.

Posted via AC App
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Will the performance be worse than my Razr M? The specs are the same and the Maxx HD is pushing a 720p screen. I am already having performance problems with some apps on my Razr M I can only imagine doing that pushing more pixels. Chrome is very RAM intensive as is Feedly.
    The s3,razr m and razr maxx hd uses the qualcomm snapdragon s4 dual core . They should perform similarly. The one advantage of the s3 is that it has double the ram (2gb) compared to the razr m/razr maxx hd. So if you are running out of RAM then the s3 can help with that, otherwise, it won't really perform better. The dna should perform better with the quad core snapdragon s4 pro, but battery life would be much less than the razr maxx hd

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    I'm wondering why you would even consider the BB.
    The GS3 is still a great phone. Put a Ravpower 2250 mah battery in it like I did. Very happy with the results.

Posted via AC App
    I considered it because of it`s size. I don`t like big phones. Even if I was to get a big phone, it would be the Lumia 1520 because it`s beautiful, but I`m stuck on Verizon.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The s3,razr m and razr maxx hd uses the qualcomm snapdragon s4 dual core . They should perform similarly. The one advantage of the s3 is that it has double the ram (2gb) compared to the razr m/razr maxx hd. So if you are running out of RAM then the s3 can help with that, otherwise, it won't really perform better. The dna should perform better with the quad core snapdragon s4 pro, but battery life would be much less than the razr maxx hd

Ahh, so it is tradeoffs with all of them then. Hmmm, the Razr Maxx HD has less RAM but bigger battery, the S3 has less battery life but more RAM, the DNA has more power overall but less battery. If anything, the main problem with my Razr M is the RAM. Now I don`t know what to do.

Like was said earlier, the S3 can swap for a higher capacity battery. My fiance has one and loved it... until the most recent JB update. Ever since, it's constantly freezing and needing a battery pull several times a day to get it to turn on. Tried several factory resets too with no luck. The camera also doesn't like to work, causing many shut downs as if the battery was pulled. I've heard quite a few reports of others in the same boat after the update. While she did get Samsung branded higher capacity batteries, they seemed to die off quickly and were only going about half as long been charges after only a few months. So yeah, not exactly happy with the S3 in it's "updated" form.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast