Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S3 Cracked Internally - is there any hope?

Today my husband's S3 was hit while in his chest pocket by a flying "push stick" that was thrown from a table saw.The phone was protected by an Otterbox commuter case and was hit by the push stick on the back of the phone. The Otterbox is fine; there is a tiny dimple in the back plastic cover of the phone case; the bottom corner of the battery has a tiny chip missing from the lower right hand corner; the internal black plastic frame on the right side of the battery has a crack next to the screw and the internal screen of the phone is cracked like crazy; the external screen is fine. (The husband is fine thanks to his phone!) We don't have phone insurance; our Verizon upgrade date is in August 2014. We can't see anything on the screen; he has a swipe pattern to unlock. Even if I swiped the pattern correctly, we still couldn't see anything. Any help or advice? Is repair even an option?

If I wanted to buy a replacement S3 for him - where would I do that for a reasonable price and if I did would Verizon let me activate it?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Cracked Internally - is there any hope?

Well, I have ordered the "Samsung Galaxy S3 LCD + Digitizer Screen Replacement - Blue" from Repairs Universe. I hope he can last without his phone games for a few days! The phone is receiving text messages and calls just fine - we just can't answer them right now. There is hope!!

Welcome (back) to the forums!

If you really needed to be able to use the phone with the screen not working you could try something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK/...0-20&m1k=vb_ac - you could connect the dock to a TV/monitor via HDMI, and use a USB keyboard/mouse for navigation/input.

Good luck with the replacement. BTW, you may want to consider a replacement battery - any physical damage is liable to lead to issues.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well, we replaced the screen last night after watching several YouTube videos to give us courage. We're back in business. Will be getting a couple of new batteries as backups for our 2 S3's. Thanks for the tip. BTW, can't say enough good things about our OtterBox cases. Nor the fact that his phone saved him from being impaled by that stick.