Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Accidentally installed second antivirus app

I have had AVG protection in the phone for a long time and yesterday while in my Avast Pro program I clicked to add mobile protection, because I forgot about the AVG.

Now I have two antivirus programs in my phone and wonder if they compete as they do in computers and if they are as hard to get rid of?

Any advice about removal?

Isabel

Global Posts
    18,486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Accidentally installed second antivirus app

Quote Originally Posted by isabel95 View Post
    I have had AVG protection in the phone for a long time and yesterday while in my Avast Pro program I clicked to add mobile protection, because I forgot about the AVG.

Now I have two antivirus programs in my phone and wonder if they compete as they do in computers and if they are as hard to get rid of?

Any advice about removal?

Isabel
    Welcome to the forums. I think they can conflict each other, just not as bad as on a PC. Just pick one and uninstall it.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It's the uninstallation that scares me. I know to uninstall Avast or any other virus protection you have to jump through hoops. Avast at least has an uninstall utility you can download from their site that clears out all the bits and pieces. I think I will uninstall the Avast since the AVG has been working fine. I wonder just how many people get hit by viruses on their phones.

Global Posts
    18,486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by isabel95 View Post
    It's the uninstallation that scares me. I know to uninstall Avast or any other virus protection you have to jump through hoops. Avast at least has an uninstall utility you can download from their site that clears out all the bits and pieces. I think I will uninstall the Avast since the AVG has been working fine. I wonder just how many people get hit by viruses on their phones.
    You will be surprised at how easily they uninstall.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I don't know if any bits and pieces are left behind as they are with computer antivirus programs, but the Avast app was gone immediately. Thanks for the encouraging input.

After the fact, but before un-installing a program, clear the cache, delete data, then un-install it.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I'll try to remember this for the next time I uninstall!
    Isabel

I have always been under the impression that Antivirus apps are unnecessary for cell phones. Has this changed?

Posting on the go with Tapatalk and my S3

There's some controversy about whether Antivirus apps are necessary on cell phones. I remember reading an article recently that recommended having one running. I would feel that way especially if my phone was rooted, since an exploit is used to allow root access in the first place, so your phone is already somewhat open.

But you should read about it and make the choice yourself. Honestly, I don't have an Antivirus running myself at this point, even though my phone is rooted. I'm pretty careful about the apps that I install and how I use my phone. But you never know, there's lots of creative hackers out there.

I use Lookout more for finding phone if I lose it or worse. Most viruses come from downloading files from dubious and untrusted sites and locations. Stick with Google Play and Amazon Apps and it is highly doubtful you would get a virus.
    Lookout has a great mechanism like other anti virus apps also plus they have a separate Heartbleed detector app that is usable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

thanks for sharing.
    Isabel