Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unusual Map problem?

Hey all,

Just got a Verizon Galaxy S3. It was my wifes until she upgraded to the S5. She had this issue, and in spite of a factory reset, I do to.

When I look at google maps, I am shown to be 100 - 1020 yard east of my real location. I have tried having all gps and location services on, and I have tried shutting them off 1 at a time. I have taken the battery out, and as I said also did a complete factory reset.

It does the same thing inside out out, regardless of the weather.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Unusual Map problem?

Welcome to the forums!

Are you outside when you're having this problem? GPS requires a line-of-sight to the satellites so it may not be very useful inside. You should start by checking your GPS accuracy first - you can use something like GPS Test: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest to verify that the GPS is working correctly.

When you're inside, do you have a Wi-Fi connection? Supposedly you'll get a better location fix if you're using Wi-Fi, but that really depends on whether your provider is using an accurate address for your cable modem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I am outside.

When I used GPS test, it took close to 10 minutes to find 18 satellites and had a "poor" connection.

Thanks for the reply...

That's not good - it should only take a minute or two to lock on to a dozen or so satellites. It's possible that your GPS antenna is loose - it's been quite a long time since someone has complained about this, but IIRC there's a way to tighten the screws so that you can get an accurate fix.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I saw the other day that other people had gps issues by tightening the screws in the back. All mine are secure.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Just downloaded gps status & toolbox. This app has calibration tools. When I can get outside, I'll give it a try.

Let us know how it turns out

AC App on SGS3

I have the same issue. I tried the screw tightening fix and even tried to bend up my gps antennae a bit. The issue wasn't resolved unfortunately. I'm hoping the upgrade soon to be released resolves the issue.

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

the gps status & toolbox app seems to have fixed the gps issue. In stead of 100+ feet off, the map shows me either right on, or at most 10 feet off.

Hope this helps someone...