Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 i535 stuck on 3G!

My samsung galaxy s3 is stuck on 3G! Ever since I got it, which was 3 weeks ago, I have not even once gotten 4G! I'm even in a 4G LTE coverage area. I talk to verizon and they told me to get a new sim card which did not help at all! Now I am going traveling and really want to get 4g. When I used Net Monitor, the network type is always eHRPD it never switches to LTE. I have tried switching from Global to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and nothing changed. I did a hard factory reset, even reinstalled the firmware using Odin with no luck! I am starting to think verizon is doing this on purpose. Can someone help me out!

Default Re: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 i535 stuck on 3G!

I'd suggest going in to a local Verizon company store and taking a look at any of the demo units - if any of them are getting a 4G signal and yours isn't then ask them for a brand new replacement unit on the spot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply, and I'm going to Verizon tomorrow but I hope I don't need a replacement as I bought the phone on Ebay. But isn't there a way to re flash the phones modem or something like that. I actually did see it get 4G when I first inserted the sim card and it was waiting to get activated. I also heard that Verizon can force LTE on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Silva3 View Post
    But isn't there a way to re flash the phones modem or something like that.
    You could certainly re-flash the firmware using the Kies software or a tool called Odin, and that might fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Silva3 View Post
    I also heard that Verizon can force LTE on my phone.
    I don't know anything about that - if your phone was rooted there's a utility that you can use to switch between 3G & 4G. It may be that there's something that they haven't done on their end. Only way to find out is to ask them.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

This may help;

Pull your notification bar down and hold down mobile data until a menu pops up. Go to network mode and press LTE/CDMA. I was only getting 3G a few weeks ago and I believe this fixed it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Posted from either my Galaxy S3 or my Nexus 7 2012

Hey I was having this same issue. I tried flashing numerous ROMS but couldn't ever get the signal to work correctly. So I flashed the stock rooted firmware with some customizations Scott's ROMS - [VZW SGS3] - CleanROM 8.1 -★| Clean! | Smooth! | Stable! | No Gimmicks! |★- I also picked up a new SIM and had the tech reset the signal from their side. I get 4G again.

Quote Originally Posted by MjDroidx View Post
    Hey I was having this same issue. I tried flashing numerous ROMS but couldn't ever get the signal to work correctly. So I flashed the stock rooted firmware with some customizations Scott's ROMS - [VZW SGS3] - CleanROM 8.1 -★| Clean! | Smooth! | Stable! | No Gimmicks! |★- I also picked up a new SIM and had the tech reset the signal from their side. I get 4G again.
    While I'm a CleanROM fan (CleanROM 8), I have to say that of the things that you did, most likely rooting and using CleanROM was probably not the reason that you now have 4G. More likely it was the new SIM and the signal reset. Maybe it was reflashing the ML1 modem, which you may have done at the same time. The other posters suggestion about going in to settings and selecting LTE/CDMA for network mode if it isn't already set is also going to fix the "no 4G" problem. But not likely that it was flashing CleanROM (or any other ROM) that fixed your problem.

Just my opinion, but lots of people that aren't rooted or running CleanROM have 4G *smiile*. It is a lot of work and risk to go in that direction if you don't make the decision to root and flash a particular based on other reasons.