Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kit kat update charging issue red X

I just updated to kit kat and all was good until I plugged in my car charger. I have a griffin dual usb charger and samsung cable thathas always worked fine. Now when I plug it in I get a red X on the battery and when I unplug it it takes about 20 seconds for it to say it's not charging.

Default Re: Kit kat update charging issue red X

I am also experiencing this issue. It only occurs on 2a chargers where Settings - Battery reports Charging (AC) rather than Charging (USB) like when plugged into a lower amp USB port. One interesting thing to note is that if you power the S3 off and reboot, it will report (USB) under Battery Settings, but removing and reinserting the cable after booted, it will again show (AC) and the red X reappears; I've actually noted this behavior in the past, minus the red X, as I've found it was actually losing battery power faster than it could charge while using the device for GPS navigation, so I've always looked to make sure it was reporting (AC) and getting the higher charge-rate. I don't think it's a huge issue, since the battery is still charging with the red X, and found some posts indicating that it might simply mean that the device is running off (AC) power and not requiring any input from the battery.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So what charger would eliminate this?

Quote Originally Posted by ws6.baker View Post
    So what charger would eliminate this?
    A standard computer USB port puts out 500ma (half an amp), and you can find wall-chargers that range from 500ma to 2 amps+. You would need to use one that doesn't trigger the S3 switching to Charging (AC).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok so the s4 is 2 amp and I think the s3 is a 1.5. Is it getting too much charge with the 2? Only thing I cant figure out is it never did this prior to the kit kat update today.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Patriot View Post
    A standard computer USB port puts out 500ma (half an amp), and you can find wall-chargers that range from 500ma to 2 amps+. You would need to use one that doesn't trigger the S3 switching to Charging (AC).
    Now im trying an apple 1 amp usb block and it still has red X
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

2 amp s4 works fine
    2 amp samsung travel charger works fine
    1 amp s3 works fine
    1 amp apple red x
    Griffin dual usb car charger red x

Quote Originally Posted by ws6.baker View Post
    2 amp s4 works fine
    2 amp samsung travel charger works fine
    1 amp s3 works fine
    1 amp apple red x
    Griffin dual usb car charger red x
    Interesting. Same cable?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

No, guess ill do more testing

im having this same issue in the car...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Tested with same cable and got same result with apple and griffin

Same story here. The phone charges. That's all that matters to me.

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
    Rick Bell likes this.

So even with the red X the phone is still charging?
    I just updated to KitKat this morning and noticed the red X in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by snolds View Post
    So even with the red X the phone is still charging?
    I just updated to KitKat this morning and noticed the red X in my car.
    Haven't tried it in the car, but with an external battery, any other than Samsung charger, etc., it still charges.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Haven't tried it in the car, but with an external battery, any other than Samsung charger, etc., it still charges.
    Tested in the car with my generic 2.1 amp charger and it still charges just as good even with the red x.

I'm thinking the Samsung charger and data cable provide a voltage sensing loop-back to the charger, assisting in the charging. Just a wag.
    Since other chargers and cables may not have the function, an X is displayed.

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

I have tried multiple auto chargers and even the Samsung cable. Red X on everything I have tried in the car. No problem with any combination of charger and cable on AC. As stated previously, the phone still charges as usual. I guess we'll have to live with it.

Posted via Android Central App

Im having the same issue on my car charger and stock charger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Sent from my S3

Hello everyone. Our phones are verizon's S3's. My phone and my wife's phone just got updated to the newest kitkat update and we are experiencing this red x in the battery icon with two of our 1A X5 Mobile brand chargers. The phone chargers were working fine before this update. We have another OEM samsung 750ma charger, a motorola 750ma car charger and a generic car charger, all of these work fine.

My wife's phone didn't charge overnight while showing the red X. The phone was a 26% this morning after charging all night. This sucks because we are down two home chargers now. Anyone know if I can revert back to the previous OS before kit kat? I'm sure they will come up with a fix sometime but I don't want to go get a couple of new chargers if I don't need to. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayta98 View Post
    Anyone know if I can revert back to the previous OS before kit kat?
    I haven't seen anyone post about successfully downgrading from KitKat to Jelly Bean; there may be some information about that over on XDA though.

You could certainly try it yourself, but is it really worth all of the potential problems (up-to-and-including bricking your phone) to save $25 on a couple of new chargers?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

On my s3, I am having the red x issue. I have also noticed some other things. My phone has showed that it was not charging on the icon but the LED shows it charging and it charged just fine without the red x. I have a wall/car combo charger that has dedicated 2.1amp and a dedicated 1amp usb port. On the 2.1amp side it did not want to charge. After fiddling with it i got it to show red x and sometimes charging. On the 1amp side it showed charging but was intermittent.

I'm seeing the same issue. The battery is actually changing, but the small indicator at the top of the status bar has a red X. The lock screen shows it is charging properly.

So this is really just a bug in the updated software, NOT the charger, USB cable, USB port, battery or other hardware.

Just moments before the update, I had no problems at all with all the same hardware, same cable, port, etc.

I actually never unplugged the phone throughout the upgrade.

After more testing and researching this and other forums.. I believe the red x represents low charging output to phone. Some phones show this as a notification and apparently instead of words this update shows the x. This means the phone is charging just not at an decent amp. I assume the SG3 is requiring more than .5 mAh. When I try charging with 1.0 mAh or 2.1 mAh there is no x and the phone charges normal or faster (on 2.1). This all includes external batteries..

If this is the case then why are chargers that are 2.1amp still causing the issue

Quote Originally Posted by midwolf View Post
    If this is the case then why are chargers that are 2.1amp still causing the issue
    Does it really matter? The phones still charge.

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
    Rick Bell likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast