OK Google from Home Screen?

brianpmccullough

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just got the KitKat OTA update for my S3. One of the features I've been interested in is "OK Google". Around the web it appears there is a way to configure this to work from any screen (home, lock, etc). I can only get it to work when I am in Google Now. Is initiating this from other screens limited to certain devices?

********* UPDATE *********
July 7, 2014:
Received a number of App updates after being upgraded to KitKat (4.4), and can confirm that I now do have ability to use OK Google on any screen (after training it by saying "OK Google" 3 times) and I also have the option to turn it on from the Lock screen, but haven't enabled that.

As outlined in a later comment, the setting is available by going to the Google App settings, then Voice settings.

********* END UPDATE *********

TIA!

-Brian

Last edited:

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
In order to have this functionality, you have to have Google Search 3.5+ AND Google must have enabled it for your account. I have 3.5, but it is not yet "any screen" enabled. Google says it's rolling out over the next week. What I don't know yet is whether it will work on an unrooted S3.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I have now received the Google Search v3.5.15 via the Play Store (vs sideloaded APK). The OK Google hotword from any page functionality is still not showing up.

My question is this: Is the S3 one of the "older phones" that won't be getting this? Or has someone on an unrooted S3 had this functionality activated by Google?

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Got the app update from play store this evening. Go into settings|voice and you have to turn it on.

That's the problem: other than the generic "use Voice" dialog, (see below) I have nothing else.

sa3eqavu.jpg

Somercamb

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey gwhizkids,

I saw in your screenshot you have the same mysterious slanted/crooked letter 'N' that I have in my notification area. Do you what that is for? Nothing shows up when I pull down the Notification window. Thank you

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey gwhizkids,

I saw in your screenshot you have the same mysterious slanted/crooked letter 'N' that I have in my notification area. Do you what that is for? Nothing shows up when I pull down the Notification window. Thank you

Mystified me, too! Its the symbol saying you have NFC enabled.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi brianpmccullough, gwhizkids and others

According to Google, the Google Now from any home screen is only available on the Nexus 5, which I think also requires the Google Now Launcher (not available for stock galaxy s3)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....google.android.launcher&hl=en&token=Vlbs8fMW
Android - 4.4 KitKat

I don't think you are correct on the Search from any screen functionality. Google's own documentation says that it excludes Moto X, Moto G and other older Android devices. You are correct about the Google Now launcher though (however, it does work on other phones; you just have to sideload it)

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
It finally activated for me late last evening. Works generally as advertised, though it sometimes hiccups when using it with the screen lock on. The microphone graphic appears but it will not accept input. All in all, though, a huge advance. Will have to watch the battery life to see if this causes any issues.

enloeeagle

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the ability to use "OK Google" from any screen is available to a variety of devices, not just the Nexus 5. I have an older GS3 and a HTC One M8, and it works just fine on both of them.

gwhizkids

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I am finding that using OK Google from the lockscreen to do anything other than retrieve basic info doesn't work well on my Verizon S3. For instance, trying to send an SMS message doesn't work so well. You can say "OK Google", then "Send a message to [recipient]" but then it gets hung up. Probably this is because you're really not supposed to be interacting with apps while the phone is technically in lock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun