Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Call quality - can only hear every 3rd or 4th word

We have a Samsung Galaxy s3s - my husband and I both purchased them at the very same time and we have the very same provider (Verizon) His phone works fine - his call quality in our house is fine. Mine, however, is absolute crap.

When I make a call from inside my house, I can usually only hear about every 4th or 5th word from the other person, and that's about all they can hear from me as well. Occasionally, if I go to a certain spot in the house it might improve, however I can't count on it, and that spot is our bedroom (we work opposite hours, so usually he's sleeping when I'd need to make a phone call, so that's often not an option).

The phone has always been bad (yes,I've been putting up with it for a year and a half. Until recently, I never had to make phone calls from home, now I have to drive into town to make calls)

The signal strength on mine reads -109dBm 31 asu
    and his -114 dBm 28 asu

We live in kind of a dead zone in the area (go half a mile in any direction and it's better ... this actually shows up on every coverage map of every provider). However, even with these horrible signals, HIS phone sounds fine (can hear every word), whereas mine still lets me hear occasional words (and the person I'm talking to can't get all of mine, either).

I'm dying to get a new phone - the battery on mine doesn't last more than 3 hours anymore and I can't mount an SD card in it, but I'm not eligible for another 6 months, so I have to suffer this one out for a while. Any ideas on what's going on with the call quality? Again, same phone, same provider...totally different results - do I just have a lemon of a phone?

Default Re: Call quality - can only hear every 3rd or 4th word

Lemon? Probably. It should have been replaced as soon as the problems started.

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Likely true. I didn't need to start to make phone calls until my father across the country got ill, and that's when I figured out the phone call quality sucked ... by then I'd had it far too long. Thanks anyway.

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasogal View Post
    We live in kind of a dead zone in the area (go half a mile in any direction and it's better ... this actually shows up on every coverage map of every provider).
    Independent of the problem with your phone, if you just generally have bad coverage in your home you can ask Verizon about purchasing a Network Extender - it's a couple of hundred dollars, and you can get ones that just improve the voice signal; just improve the data signal; or both. It may be a worthwhile investment if you plan to stay with Verizon.
    Edit: Does your S3 work with Verizon Network Extender?

Regarding your phone issue - yes, you should have gotten it replaced while it was still in the 14 day exchange period but that's water under the bridge. It sounds like the antenna is not correctly attached, so you could look for a teardown video online and see if you can identify what you need to look for.

It's possible that it was just a bad flash of the radio files from the get go, but I'd assume that the firmware has been updated at some point since you bought it, so that's unlikely.

You can probably find YouTube videos showing what you're looking for, or perhaps a site like iFixit may already have something.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by: