No files are visible in Downloads but it still has 4.48 GB of data visible in Storage

JoeyKeys85

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago I noticed that when I tap on the Downloads shortcut all of my downloads were gone. Yet, when I go to Storage it shows that there is 4.48 GB of data stored in Downloads. Also, when I try downloading anything it doesn't show up in Downloads. It says "Download starting" but never displays that it is complete. However, I can still download and install Play Store apps. And I can see some files I know I downloaded in the Video Player and in the Gallery.

What can I do to fix this problem?? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure you didn't disable the Download Manager. Go to the App Manager, look for the Disabled apps, and see if Download Manager is there. Reenable it if it's disabled.

Also, if you open the Downloads app, is there an option to display older files? Some phones automatically hide downloaded files older than a week or so, but should give you the option to display them.

JoeyKeys85

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. There's nothing in the Turned Off section, if that's what you mean by Disabled. Both the Downloads and Download manager are turned on. My phone does automatically hide older phones, but I didn't see any option to reveal them as there had been in the past.

Any other suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you use a file manager app to explore the Download folder? Sometimes, if you manually copy a file to the Download folder, it won't actually show up in the Downloads app--I think it's because it didn't get there using the Download Manager.

JoeyKeys85

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delayed response. I used a free app called File Manager and found everything, 137 files in the Download folder. I tried downloading a file and found it in the Downloads folder. It said "starting download", though it didn't show it's download progress.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It just seems like the Download Manager is screwing up somehow. It might be interesting to see what happens if you go to the App Manager, select Download Manager, and Clear Cache/Clear Data and then Force Stop. Then try another download.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine has always done that, even after a factory reset. The Downloads folder (on mine, your mileage may vary) stores shortcuts to the downloaded files. Deleting from Downloads never actually deleted the files themselves on mine. Going through "My Files" or a third party file manager actually gets the files though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan