Finally going to update!

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm scared and excited..lol

I'm also new to this.. I spent a lot of time with Helium and SMS backup/restore and Kies backing everything up (or so it seems anyway - god I hope these backups work..), so NOW what do I do? lol..

Do I
1) clear cache partition
2) factory reset
3) update OS

OR
1) factory reset
2) update OS
3) clear cache partition?

Also, before doing all this do I need to take my external SD card out of my phone?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm scared and excited..lol

I'm also new to this.. I spent a lot of time with Helium and SMS backup/restore and Kies backing everything up (or so it seems anyway - god I hope these backups work..), so NOW what do I do? lol..

Do I
1) clear cache partition
2) factory reset
3) update OS

OR
1) factory reset
2) update OS
3) clear cache partition?

Also, before doing all this do I need to take my external SD card out of my phone?

Thanks!

I would actually go in this order:
1. Remove the SD card safely.
2. Accept the OTA
3. Clear the Cache partition in recovery
4. Reset the device.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I would take the sd card out. But I find backup apps useless, as logging back in with your google account will bring back your contacts and apps. I've done it this way many times and never lost anything.

SweetSaudade

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
When you did that did you lose game progress? I'm most nervous about that.. I've lost too much of my life to some of these silly games to have to start all the way over..lol Which leads me to another question.. In the case of games that are also linked through your computer via Facebook - do you HAVE to back those up, or will your progress always be there because of the link to Facebook?

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When you did that did you lose game progress? I'm most nervous about that.. I've lost too much of my life to some of these silly games to have to start all the way over..lol Which leads me to another question.. In the case of games that are also linked through your computer via Facebook - do you HAVE to back those up, or will your progress always be there because of the link to Facebook?

Thanks!

Those that you link to either Facebook or G+, should be saved on a server, so there is no need there. You may have to go through a certain portion of the beginning, but as soon as you can link to your proper account again, it should restore.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I find backup apps useless, as logging back in with your google account will bring back your contacts and apps.
That may be true but there are some things that are not included in what Google will restore:
- SMS (there's lots of apps that will backup/restore this; Kies also)
- MMS (the only thing I've found that accurately handles this is Kies)
- call logs (lots of apps handle this; Kies also)
- TouchWiz settings (only Kies)
- pictures/videos from internal memory (lots of apps that will do this; Kies also)
- game progress (Helium; don't know about Google; no idea about Facebook-linked games)

Some people don't care about the things I listed; for those that do, Kies is an obvious solution for most of those items.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I would take the sd card out. But I find backup apps useless, as logging back in with your google account will bring back your contacts and apps. I've done it this way many times and never lost anything.

Exactly.
Take the SD out, and go for it.

AC App on SGS3