Problems with S3 after taking it to a repairman

madisunnyd

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
So I have this phone that I bought at the start of 2013 and it worked just fine. Earlier this year I got myself an iphone and I gave the S3 to my grandmother--her first introduction to smartphones.

Well, shortly after I gave it to her she was apparently having a problem with the charging port not working so she took it to a repairman. I don't really know what he did, but I guess he replaced the entire motherboard. My grandmother showed it to me and I had to set it up from a factory reset. Now when you boot it up, on the screen with the 'samsung' logo, it shows an unlocked padlock and the word 'custom' underneath. I assume this means it's rooted? I don't know. All I can tell is that it's running Android 4.3.

Anyway, now it's having various problems that it's never had before. There is a software update available and a message comes up several times a day saying that it needs to be installed. But it won't work. When I try to install it, it reboots and then a message pops up saying that something went wrong. I'd be just as happy to not install it and disable the notices, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The other problem is that there's a message that frequently pops up saying that the wifi connection is unstable and it cannot connect. This is on the home network--I don't believe my grandmother ever tries to connect anywhere else. But I know there's nothing wrong with the wifi itself because there's like 8 other devices in the house that work just fine.

I have no idea how to fix either of these problems, but unfortunately my grandmother gets annoyed when I tell her as much. Are there any ideas on what's wrong? I have a feeling it stems from it being rooted, but I don't know a thing about that. I've never tried to root any of my phones.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps your grandmother should be the one using the iPhone?

Regarding the custom firmware - you could load the stock firmware using either the Kies software or a tool called Odin. Then the phone would be able to accept any updates that happen to come out.

As for the Wi-Fi message, you can make that go away. IIRC you just long-press the message when it appears and select the option that says something like 'don't show this again' - you can search the forums if you need the exact steps.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk