Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeffrey99
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Data connection issues

    After doing some research it appears I'm not alone but since the 4.4.2 update, I'm having issues with my data connection. Before the update I'd get on average 1-2 bars 4G at home. Since update there is alot of times I have no data connection. I can still receive texts and normally send them but I can do nothing that requires data. My only solution so far has been to turn airplane mode on and then back off. That works about 35% of the time. Normally takes doing it more then once. My assumption is, it's trying to connect to 4g but won't quickly fall back to 3g. I've noticed if I bring up the "My Verizon" app it'll automatically pop up a data connection (normally 3g) and will load their app fine. As soon as I exit that app, I lose data connection again.

    This appears to be a issues with many Samsung Verizon devices. My question is, is there a way to turn off 4g? If I try in settings, CDMA & LTE are together. There's no option for CDMA only. I tried downloading a older version of the Phone Tool app other people recommend. However it just "Stops Responding" every time I load it.

    Am I at the mercy of waiting for a update or is there a app or widget that I can turn 4g off with?

    Thanks in Advance,
    Jeffrey
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo works well to switch between 3G and 4G/LTE, but it requires the phone to be rooted.

    If you're open to that you can check out http://towelroot.com (select the lambda symbol and download the apk, then install it and follow the instructions).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo works well to switch between 3G and 4G/LTE, but it requires the phone to be rooted.

    If you're open to that you can check out http://towelroot.com (select the lambda symbol and download the apk, then install it and follow the instructions).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanks done what you said. I believe I have root now. I still can't delete various bloat ware, is that normal? I thought root gave you ability to delete any app?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Root DOES give you the ability to delete any app, but not by simply using the Application manager - THAT still honors which apps are system apps (all the bloatware along with the actual OS apps) and which apps are user apps.

    You could use Titanium Backup http://market.android.com/details?id...TitaniumBackup (don't remember if you need the Pro version) to move the bloatware from being a system app to being a user app, and then you should be able to use the Application manager to uninstall the apps.

    Or you could simply 'freeze' the bloatware using TB and not worry about it.

    Or you could use a root-enabled file manager like ES File Explorer http://market.android.com/details?id...gs.android.pop to rip those files right out of the file system.

    [Soapbox]
    Root will allow you to do any of the above - just remember what the Knight told Indy after the bad guy drank from the wrong cup - 'he chose poorly'. Don't be the guy that makes bad choices with root privileges and then wonder how things got messed up - just because you CAN do certain things doesn't mean that you SHOULD do them.
    [/Soapbox]

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Root DOES give you the ability to delete any app, but not by simply using the Application manager - THAT still honors which apps are system apps (all the bloatware along with the actual OS apps) and which apps are user apps.

    You could use Titanium Backup http://market.android.com/details?id...TitaniumBackup (don't remember if you need the Pro version) to move the bloatware from being a system app to being a user app, and then you should be able to use the Application manager to uninstall the apps.

    Or you could simply 'freeze' the bloatware using TB and not worry about it.

    Or you could use a root-enabled file manager like ES File Explorer http://market.android.com/details?id...gs.android.pop to rip those files right out of the file system.

    [Soapbox]
    Root will allow you to do any of the above - just remember what the Knight told Indy after the bad guy drank from the wrong cup - 'he chose poorly'. Don't be the guy that makes bad choices with root privileges and then wonder how things got messed up - just because you CAN do certain things doesn't mean that you SHOULD do them.
    [/Soapbox]

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I actually have a rooted Nexus 7, only reason I rooted it was to be able to use flash drive and OTG cable. However this is the first "phone" I've rooted. Didn't know if there were any different do's and don'ts.

    As for my original problem, the app didn't work well at all when I tried to force it to use CDMA. It took forever to find a connection and normally when it did, it was 1x not 3g. So I decided to try "LTE Only" it works much better. It still loses signal at times at home but it finds it again faster now, especially if I turn airplane mode on then off. The signal issues are fairly recent problem. I didn't have signal issues with my old iPhone or my Lumia 928 and I don't recall having this issue when I first got the S3. So I'm assuming it's a app or the update that caused the issue.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Are you using 'CDMA auto (PRL)' as your selection? That works fine for me.

    When I want to go back to 4G/LTE I use 'LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)'.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    253 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    I'm also suffering with poor data connection. I have 3G connection almost as much as 4G and had 1X a few times last week. MMS (group) messages take about a minute to send. Phone gets hot too, which is a drain on the battery. C'mon Vzn, send out one more update to fix the radios in 4.4.2 please.

    Sorry to not offer anything helpful. Just so aggravated atm.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Are you using 'CDMA auto (PRL)' as your selection? That works fine for me.
    Over messing with it over the weekend figured I'd give a update. I tried "CDMA Auto" When I do that it shows 3-4 bars on signal meter but no mobile data connection, ie no 4g, 3g, etc. It'll stay that way for 3-4 minutes, showing same signal strength but never having mobile data connection. Finally after that time 4 out of 5 times it'll finall drop down to 2-3 bars of 1x signal. If I use LTE Only it does lose signal every once in awhile but going into and out of airplane mode most times leads it to find 4g signal again.

    I've lived at this house for 2 years now. When I first moved here I had a iPhone 4 that 80% of the time got a solid 3g signal. About a year ago we upgraded to Lumia 928 phones. They got solid 3-4 bars of 4G 90% of the time but of course everything else about the phone sucks so we changed to a S3 and S3 Mini. My wife's Mini keeps 4g service 85-90% of the time. Even then she gets good 3G service and hardly ever has 1x. My s3 used to be the same way. I'm assuming a update messed something up but I've seen Verizon say that's not the case. So I don't know.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    If you're having this issue at home all I can suggest would be getting a Network Extender - contact Verizon about that.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    If you're having this issue at home all I can suggest would be getting a Network Extender - contact Verizon about that.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    For $250 and 3G I'll just buy A new phone. Lol considering I haven't always had this problem, leads me to it be something between Verizon and Samsung.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Data connection issues

    Just a update. 2 nights ago had full 4g signal and tried watching something on YouTube. It kept rebuffering every 10 seconds. So last night done a factory reset last night all appears back to normal. Has no problem now switching between 3g/4g.
    GSDer likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Galaxy S3 Mini Issue - Apps will NOT download or update
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 04:02 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 08:23 AM
  5. Watch-Phone Connection Broken
    By prubin in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM

Posting Permissions