| || |
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Dead battery? Or Warranty replace?
My daughter's phone is a Samsung S3 Galaxy and Verizon is the carrier. Currently, the phone will not charge or turn on no matter what power cord I use. I have three on hand and neither work on the phone but do work on the other phones in the house, so they are supplying power.
To start I'll give a little history about the phone. To date I have replaced the power cord 8 times. I chalk this up to my daughter's, who is 13, abusive behavior. I don't know many 13 year old who relish their phone, so I kind of expect some wear and tear. Usually, the phone goes dead over night, as she fails to plug it in and the next day she plugs it up and every goes back to normal. The phone has been performing random reboots since we have had it, usually from a fatal exception of some sort. I have looked through the apps from time to time and I have never seen any thing that says, what the heck is this, so we have always reset and life goes on.
Two nights ago she failed to plug the phone in again to charge. She plugs it in and nothing happens. She gave me the phone to look at to see if their was anything I could do to. Here is what I have tried so far with all 3 working cords.
- Plug up to AC Power + Hold Power + Volume Up + Home = Nothing happens
- Plug up to AC Power + Hold Volume Down + Power + Home = nothing happens
- Plug up to AC Power + Hold Power + Home = nothing happens
- Plug up to AC Power + Hold power = Nothing happens
- Plug up to AC Power + Take the battery out and back in = nothing happens
- Take battery out + Plug up to AC Power = Red light in top left corner for about 10-15 seconds
- Take battery out + Plug up + wait 10-15 seconds for red light to go out + Volume up+ Home+ Power = Red light comes on for 5 - 10 secs
So I am wondering should I attempt to turn it in on warranty or just try a new battery. I physically inspected the power ports, I do not see any damage or any bent center power connectors. After reading several forums I thought it may be something simple such as a dead battery that just got fried, but I am not sure as some of them are more serious such as motherboard replacements, or power connector replacements
Any advise is helpful