Google Edition ROM for Verizon's HTC One

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I tell you, Verizon's got no love for the Nexus lines...wish the would have learned from turning down the iPhone.

I had intended to get the Verizon S4 and load a Google Edition ROM onto it once it's released...because TouchWiz is awful. But I just don't like the screen (amoled), the rear facing speakers (quiet), or the button. It also doesn't help that I've been disappointed in every Samsung phone I've ever owned (Nexus S, GS2, Galaxy Nexus, N2), especially regarding signal strength and call quality.

Now that I see the HTC One is coming to Verizon, perhaps I'll get that once a Google Edition ROM becomes available. I just wish it had expandable memory/bigger battery...and a Wolfson DAC :p

Thoughts?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I tell you, Verizon's got no love for the Nexus lines...wish the would have learned from turning down the iPhone.

I had intended to get the Verizon S4 and load a Google Edition ROM onto it once it's released...because TouchWiz is awful. But I just don't like the screen (amoled), the rear facing speakers (quiet), or the button. It also doesn't help that I've been disappointed in every Samsung phone I've ever owned (Nexus S, GS2, Galaxy Nexus, N2), especially regarding signal strength and call quality.

Now that I see the HTC One is coming to Verizon, perhaps I'll get that once a Google Edition ROM becomes available. I just wish it had expandable memory/bigger battery...and a Wolfson DAC :p

Thoughts?

If you're going to wait a couple months to consider the One anyways, might as well keep an ear open for the Moto X release details. Verizon's not leaving a lot of choice on their networks for Android enthusiasts.

As far as this ROM goes, turning the GE build into a CDMA port probably won't take too long, assuming there is enough of a dev community interested in this device. I think that'll be a matter of timing. For comparison, the DNA community isn't large, but it's solid.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
^I'd bet a lot of money that the Moto X phone will use the 5" AMOLED screen from the S4...just like the RAZR HD/S3 AMOLED screen. It's unfortunate they use AMOLED, because the ATRIX HD had a beautiful LCD panel. I will put up with AMOLED if the rest of the device is amazing. I can honestly see the subpixel matrix 'grainy' image of the S4...it bugs me, but not as bad as it's lag.

The HTC One has 99% of what I want. If the Moto X has a 3300mah battery, expandable memory, front facing speakers, a Wolfson DAC and AOSP, I'll be all over it!

Last edited:

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Front speakers is pretty guaranteed to be a no, probably same on the DAC. AOSP is boring, AOKP is better ;) I'm curious about the SD card myself. Google hates paying Microsoft for them, but Moto has always had them, will be interesting.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope the reason Verizon is releasing this late is so they can get the kinks out with HTC making the bootloader impossible to unlock with no possible exploit to root. That way VZW Navigator will always be there in your app drawer..... just staring at you.... laughing..... try to delete me, you can't, because I'm locked in as a system app and you don't have root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SouthernDroid

Banned
Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Thoughts?

It's almost as if Verizon is wanting people to go the iPhone route. I worked for Verizon Wireless while in college, and have a family member who currently works for them. Yes, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was awful! Prior to getting my HTC DROID DNA, I considered a Samsung Galaxy S3, but decided against it due to signal strength in their past phones. I for one would like to see a Verizon-capable Google Edition HTC One, but I know that is, most likely, never going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair