Verizon blocking FM Radio?

jl60657

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
The FM Radio app is not included on the HTC One I picked up at Verizon today. Also, the Spirit UL app I've used to listen to radio on my previous phone does not work -- just get static, the phone is not able to receive any radio stations.

If this is indeed the case and not just user error (yes, the headphones are plugged in), this phone will probably be going back to Verizon. Unbelievable.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just looked and noticed the ATT One has FM Radio capabilities, so why in the world does this one not? Are the internals that different that the FM Radio is not available?

jl60657

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
RE: TuneIn

Yes, TuneIn is available. I am talking specifically about apps that use the FM receiver built into the HTC One.

TuneIn is nice, but doesn't really help when your favorite team is on the radio and the game is blacked out from the online stream. Or when your favorite station doesn't stream. Or maybe their online stream is poor quality and FM sounds better. Or you're at the gym and the audio from the TV is available via FM. Or maybe you don't want to use up your data allowance streaming stations you can listen to for free via FM.

I'm a bit steamed with VZW that we had to wait 5 months for Verizon to release this phone, and all we got was the usual bloatware, and crippled hardware to boot.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember that Verizon runs on a different spectrum/frequency, so they have to have special antennas placed in their phones. During that time however, Verizon could have told HTC to take out the FM capability, or after adding the different antennas, HTC probably decided to leave the FM antenna out, due to "lack of space".

Sent from my HTC Vivid BoRKed using Android Central Forums

jl60657

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
AT&T, Sprint and T Mobile all have the FM radio functionality on their versions of the HTC One. And Sprint is on the same LTE bands that Verizon is (Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.). So, I think this is more likely a political issue (e.g., Verizon is holding the feature hostage while waiting for a payday like the one Sprint got from the National Association of Broadcasters) than a technical one.

You have to remember that Verizon runs on a different spectrum/frequency, so they have to have special antennas placed in their phones. During that time however, Verizon could have told HTC to take out the FM capability, or after adding the different antennas, HTC probably decided to leave the FM antenna out, due to "lack of space".

Last edited:

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
And if I remember correctly for FM to work you had to plug in headphones or earbuds because the FM receiver uses the cord as the FM antenna. So it should have nothing to do with internal hardware.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
That's insane that Verizon blocked the FM radio. They make Att look user friendly which is pretty hard to do. Do they at least let you guys disable the bloatware apps?

Sent from my Silver HTC ONE fully converted to the Google Play Edition

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
FM radio what is that? Sounds like something I had back in the 80s.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I was just searching for the FM Radio app. No where to be found.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Why not ask someone from the ATT HTC One threads to make a backup of the app and send you a link? I would donate if I had a One, but alas, waiting for the Max.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Why not ask someone from the ATT HTC One threads to make a backup of the app and send you a link? I would donate if I had a One, but alas, waiting for the Max.

Is it that simple? Would that work on any Android phone then?

Posted via Android Central App

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it that simple? Would that work on any Android phone then?

Posted via Android Central App

No. Because the FM Radio app is Sense-based and designed to only work with HTC phones, it would force close on a stock Android device. Also, if it didn't detect an FM antenna, it would not open.

packhawk

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I was reading through the One manual and came across a lot of things I noticed my phone doesn't have, besides the FM transmitter. No power saver mode. No HTC backup. I'm sure there's more. I just chatted with a Verizon rep about this, who of course, says it is the manufacturer's decision about what features are included in a phone's release to carriers. I guess just bombard Verizon and HTC support with requests to include these features and maybe they will release an update?

rookie83

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Once again every one is missing the big picture verizon probably blocked the fm radio so you would have to use there own music site and use up your data limits!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm