Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Disable auto backup of photos to Google

Hello,
    I'm enjoying me new Verizon HTC One, however I notice all my photos are automatically being backed up to my Google account, via Auto Bkup. How do I turn this off? I don't always want my photos backed up, especially when I'm not on wifi.
    I checked various settings, but can't seem to find anything to control automatic backup of photos.

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Default Re: Disable auto backup of photos to Google

Open Gallery, click on 3 dots upper right, select add online service, touch Picasa and viola, take a look at what's being synced

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Oops, uncheck Google photos and Picasa

On Verizon HTC One, those 3 dots on Gallery only show settings, where the only option is to toggle location data on or off. There is a selection called Media Servers, but that doesn't seem to do anything, and Tips & Help which does not include any info on Picasa or anything else related to backing up photos.

No it's controlled in the Google+ app, not the gallery app.

Posted via Android Central App

Try going to Settings/Accounts/Google/(your Google account). There you can uncheck sync for Google Photos. See if that does the trick.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Quote Originally Posted by nolalou View Post
    On Verizon HTC One, those 3 dots on Gallery only show settings, where the only option is to toggle location data on or off. There is a selection called Media Servers, but that doesn't seem to do anything, and Tips & Help which does not include any info on Picasa or anything else related to backing up photos.
    Hmm, on my Picasa web, I have a folder that says photos from posts and one called instant upload, that seem to correlate with the check boxes I referenced. I'll check it again later or tomorrow...

Folks, auto backup is a function of the Google+ app. Look for auto-backup in settings there.

Quote Originally Posted by H_Wordsmythe View Post
    Try going to Settings/Accounts/Google/(your Google account). There you can uncheck sync for Google Photos. See if that does the trick.
    That did the trick! I had looked at those settings, but didnt realize my account name was clickable, so i missed the option to turn off syncing photos!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Folks, auto backup is a function of the Google+ app. Look for auto-backup in settings there.

I have Google Photos unchecked in the Accounts and Sync setting, and when I open Google+, the Instant Upload section displays a message that says it needs to be enabled in... Accounts and Sync. So, there are a couple of ways to approach it, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by H_Wordsmythe View Post
    I have Google Photos unchecked in the Accounts and Sync setting, and when I open Google+, the Instant Upload section displays a message that says it needs to be enabled in... Accounts and Sync. So, there are a couple of ways to approach it, apparently.
    True but using the settings in the Google+ app gives you more control such as to only upload when on Wi-Fi or when charging or disable it completely.

Thanked by 2:

True but using the settings in the Google+ app gives you more control such as to only upload when on Wi-Fi or when charging or disable it completely.

Ahh... Good to know. Thanks.

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

I'm not seeing upload on wifi only?

Sent from my One

Quote Originally Posted by jeverts View Post
    I'm not seeing upload on wifi only?

Sent from my One

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Ahh, I had the entire Google+ backup feature unchecked... I forgit I have a 50 gig account so I turned it on as I see Google is moving from Picasa to G+ - Thanks

Sent from my One

How did you create that screen shot?

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

Power and volume down buttons, I believe...

Sent from my One

Since I have my photos already set to backup to Flickr (since you now get 1 terabyte of space free!) , is there a reason to use Google bkup? Does it back up anything other than photos & videos? If not, I might just disable it, as I'm already using 11 gig of my 15 gig limit.

Quote Originally Posted by nolalou View Post
    Since I have my photos already set to backup to Flickr (since you now get 1 terabyte of space free!) , is there a reason to use Google bkup? Does it back up anything other than photos & videos? If not, I might just disable it, as I'm already using 11 gig of my 15 gig limit.
    Just backs up photos and videos. I use it as a secondary backup service for photos and videos and use the standard size option so it doesn't go against my quota and because I use another service to backup the full size photos.

On my Samsung Mega, it was just as you say, BUT, once you touch on the Google+, there is simply a "slider" in the upper right hand corner which you slide to "off". Thank you for helping me! I was going nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

On my Samsung Mega, it was just as you say, BUT, once you touch on the Google+, there is simply a "slider" in the upper right hand corner which you slide to "off". Thank you for helping me! I was going nuts.