Removing from ear doesn't make the screen come on

ArsenalFan34

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Got my HTC One on 9/16. I have an issue that I wanted to ask. Since the first smartphone I've owned, the screen always comes back on when you remove it from your ear, say to disconnect a call. My One is not doing that. Can someone please advice if there's a setting I have to make to get it to do that (never had to ever make any setting..this should be out of the box funcationality) or whether it's an issue on my phone?
I have tried waving it and sometimes that makes the screen come on. Pressing the power button always makes it come on but my feeling is that as soon as the phone is away from the year, the screen should be coming on.

Anyone else with this issue?

Thanks for comments

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using a screen protector or a case? Sometimes those can interfere with the proximity sensor and make the phone think it's still up against your ear.

ArsenalFan34

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
For very short calls, the screen lights up when the phone is removed from the ear. I tried by calling my landline number. For longer duration calls, it definitely doesn't light up when removed from the ear unless I shake it a little. I downloaded the android sensor box app from the link you posted and it shows the distance as always 9 cm no matter how close or far away from my face the phone is. Not sure if the number is supposed to change with distance though.

ArsenalFan34

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Diddy. I'll play around with it a little bit more before taking it in to Best Buy...availed of the 50 bucks promotion there last week:D

Q - should the proximity distance be increasing/decreasing in android sensor box as I bring the phone farther/closer to my face?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use your hand and bring your palm close to the proximity sensor, which should be around where the front facing camera is. As you bring your palm closer, the little plant should shrink down, and the numbers should decrease (it's the range in cm).

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine does not come back on either-. or it does but it does not show the end call button. i think this may be normal. the difference i believe is when the caller hangs up the call disconnects-.. no need to press end call.... ill test later.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine does not come back on either-. or it does but it does not show the end call button. i think this may be normal. the difference i believe is when the caller hangs up the call disconnects-.. no need to press end call.... ill test later.

Welcome to Android Central! There's got to be an end call button somewhere. It wouldn't make sense to rely on the other person to hang up--what if you're tired of the conversation?;)

And the screen should definitely come back on when you take the phone away from your ear. If it isn't, either something is interfering with the proximity sensor (like a case or screen protector), or it's defective.

ArsenalFan34

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I played a little bit more with the android sensor box app. No matter how far away my finger or hand is from the phone, the 9 cm reading doesn't change. When it's real close and blocking the sensor it becomes 0 and becomes 9 again when I take my hand away.

When the screen does come back up for me, I can see a red call end button clearly. So anyway..is this an issue? What's the consensus?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well it sounds like the proximity sensor is working if it drops to 0 when your hand is close. On my Razr Maxx, the number is 100 when my hand is far away, then becomes 3 when my hand comes close (and that little plant animation closes up). I wonder if the sensor is miscalibrated somehow? Maybe if the sensor thinks your ear is still 9 cm away from the phone, that's still too close, and the screen won't turn on? Just speculating here--wish I had a more definitive answer for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy