How to delete an incorrect autofill email address?

Half Blind

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The thread title pretty much says it all. I have a HTC One on Verizon and I have a couple of incorrect email addresses that autofill. How can I get rid of these?
I've looked at the contacts involved, but the incorrect email addresses don't show there for me to edit. I'm lost..... again!
Thank you,
HB

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where are they autofilling, the browser? The Gmail or email apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to System Settings/Apps/All, select Gmail, and tap "Clear Cache." Then see if it still happens.

Half Blind

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time on this.
I did all of the above, went back into Gmail and opened a new email. Got the same thing when I started to address it.
Maybe I should just stop being so lazy.

HB

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to your Contacts or People app, and see if there is an option to Display All Accounts. Maybe you're only looking at one account's contacts, like Gmail's. But other accounts can sync with your phone's Contacts (like Facebook or Yahoo), and they might have done so without your being fully aware of it.

Half Blind

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the settings and switched to search contacts by email, then tried typing the incorrect address that is haunting me and came up with nothing.
I appreciate your help, but there is no sense in two of us pulling our hair out. I'll putz with it when I can, and not be so lazy until I either fix it or go nuts, or live with it.

Thank you again,
Half Blind

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The auto correct would be stored in your keyboard app, not Google or Gmail. Try clearing the cache / data of your keyboard app and see if that helps. I use Swiftkey, so I'm not sure what the name of the app is for the stock keyboard but I'm sure someone here or on XDA could point that out if you need it.

Half Blind

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I got into SwiftKey and cleared the cache. Incorrect autofill still occurs.
Time for me to man up and just type the whole email address when I need to.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Half Blind

Half Blind

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I went into Swiftkey and deleted the cache. No change in the erroneous autofill.
Time for me to man up and just type the complete email address when I need to.
Thank you to all who took the time to have a look and offer suggestions.

Half Blind

JBarOfficial

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
1: Go to Browser?s settings
2: On the General section, activate Form Autofill
3: Go to Autofill Data section
4: Change email addresses
5: After done, tap Save Profile

Sarah Fee

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Asked my boyfriend; He just got an S5. The issue is the word is a "learned word". when the email comes up if its in blue, just press and hold on the email and it will come up with a warning saying it will be removed from "learned words" click remove or yes or whatever and problem solved

1234567abc

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Annoying email autofill successfully been solved this afternoon (been a long battle and very irritating).
Not clearing by "clear data", " clear cache", not uninstalling Emai app, NO NO NO! They won't work!

Simply:
Go to Phone Contact > down right bottom there are 3 dots > Filter >

You will see there are many social apps under "Display Contacts", like Viber, ICQ, Wechat, Local Contact, Whatsapp, Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Skype etc.

click each of them out, and tick ALL boxes, then click "Done"

Go back to the Phone Contact, you'll find there are quite a lot unwanted contacts. Some contacts simply just with email addresses. They have all been filtered and unseen until you have just filtered them out, allowing them to be seen.

So now you could easily find those " annoying email autofill email addresses" in the Contact, simply DELETE them. I found I have like over 20 contacts under the same email addresses, same contact names too.

A baby shop email address which I accidentally added before. It has been saved under my personal email address, that's insane! (but it wasn't in my email contact list if I open my email in computers. It's only been saved in my Android phone) So whenever I wanna send email to myself , the autofill sends to that baby shop! It made me crazy and I was unable to solve it because the Contact filtered out email addresses and I didnt realise I had actually saved somewhere.

Now I have figured it out and hope it will help people out there. ( since I noticed many people couldnt solve this issue)

Cheers!

King Wilbur

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Moto G and having same autofill issues of email addys on my gmail account for the phone. Some addresses I have no idea what or how they got to autofill. How do I delete them? Tried the suggestions listed here so far with no luck. Any suggestions???

NPrTech

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't find anything named Phone Contact. When I went to Contacts, there were no three dots and Filter. Clicking on the three lines at the bottom right in Contacts did not reveal a Filter option either.

Where might I find Phone Contact as opposed to Contacts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Kaell

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S4 mini.

I too have no "Phone Contact".

"Contacts" takes me to the "Contacts" tab of Phone/Groups/Contacts. There are no 3-dots or anything of the sort. There is only Search, Create contact, the list of contacts, and "displaying 12 contacts".

There is one entry that I want gone. But it is not in Google Contacts. It ONLY appears when I start typing in gmail "to" field. I cannot otherwise find this person anywhere or via any search. On my phone or in my google account via PC.

Kaell

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Clicking the alt-menu button next to the home button also gives me:

Delete
Accounts
Speed dial settings
send message/email
Settings

Accounts only has my gmail account listed.

Speed dial settings only has 2 items that are not "not assigned. And neither of them are the entry I want gone.

Send message/email just lets me create a new message/email.

Settings has "only contacts with phones" which I don't want. "List by" option settings, "Display contacts by" option settings, "service numbers", and ATT address book, which is not setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo