Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Question Verizon HTC One on AT&T

So I am possibly selling my HTC One to my brother-in-law who is on AT&T. Does anyone know what network it'll work on, such as 3G or HSPA+? Would I have to do anything other than change the APN settings?

Global Posts
    11,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Verizon HTC One on AT&T

I don't think you can activate the One from Verizon to AT&T. The two operate in different technologies, cdma vs gsm, and getting Verizon to unlock it for use in another network will be near impossible. I'd do some deep searching to make sure you can do this before selling it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I don't think you can activate the One from Verizon to AT&T. The two operate in different technologies, cdma vs gsm, and getting Verizon to unlock it for use in another network will be near impossible. I'd do some deep searching to make sure you can do this before selling it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app
    The HTC One is a global phone on Verizon, which means that it'll support GSM. Unless I am missing something, which might be the case.

Global Posts
    11,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by JW4VZW View Post
    The HTC One is a global phone on Verizon, which means that it'll support GSM. Unless I am missing something, which might be the case.
    No, you are right. It is a GSM phone but I don't think it's as easy as popping in another SIM, such as one from AT&T, and having a fully functional phone with talk/text/data services without some type of editing. Take a look at this thread for reference re: GS4 on Verizon being used on other GSM networks: Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

In particular, take a look at NotJustAPhone's post here and subsequent post in the thread: Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

You need to edit APN's to get talk/text/data services working. He was able to do it using T-Mobile, so I'm not sure if this will also be required if using an AT&T SIM. If I find other information to help you with this case I'll be sure to post it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

No, you are right. It is a GSM phone but I don't think it's as easy as popping in another SIM, such as one from AT&T, and having a fully functional phone with talk/text/data services without some type of editing. Take a look at this thread for reference re: GS4 on Verizon being used on other GSM networks: Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

In particular, take a look at NotJustAPhone's post here and subsequent post in the thread: Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

You need to edit APN's to get talk/text/data services working. He was able to do it using T-Mobile, so I'm not sure if this will also be required if using an AT&T SIM. If I find other information to help you with this case I'll be sure to post it.
    Thanks for the links. I will read them when I get time at work.

Verizon no longer locks their phones. That was a condition from the FCC as part of the 700MHz spectrum purchase. For more than 18 now months Verizon hasn't subsidy-locked (aka SIM locked) the devices, but some of the older phones (Droid Razr, for one) were specifically blocked from AT&T & T-Mobile USA. They worked perfectly fine abroad, however. Current phones work on AT&T & T-Mobile on the radio bands the phone supports. As with any non-Verizon SIM in a Verizon phone, one only has to update the APN settings for the new network.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
    Verizon no longer locks their phones. That was a condition from the FCC as part of the 700MHz spectrum purchase. For more than 18 now months Verizon hasn't subsidy-locked (aka SIM locked) the devices, but some of the older phones (Droid Razr, for one) were specifically blocked from AT&T & T-Mobile USA. They worked perfectly fine abroad, however. Current phones work on AT&T & T-Mobile on the radio bands the phone supports. As with any non-Verizon SIM in a Verizon phone, one only has to update the APN settings for the new network.
    Thanks!

Default Getting Data services to work after installing a new SIM card

My experience in Britain and France last year was that while voice/text will work right away, you cannot get data until you edit your APNs. The problem is that Labara and O2 suppport staff there were not familiar with my phone (HTC Incredible 2) and/or the instructions on their websites were either incomplete or in error. It took me a whole evening in each country to get data to work, but I finally did thanks to research I did before leaving the states.
    The year before, the folks at Orange in France were totally clueless on what to do to activate data services.

So, by no means were the SIM cards fully self-installing.for all functions.

BTW, my experience with O2 signal strength in London and other parts of Britain was really poor. I would use someone else the next time. Lebara was fine in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by JW4VZW View Post
    So I am possibly selling my HTC One to my brother-in-law who is on AT&T. Does anyone know what network it'll work on, such as 3G or HSPA+? Would I have to do anything other than change the APN settings?
    I don't think it will work. Although the One is unblocked and Global Ready, it's configured so that you can't use it in any other network in the US besides Verizon. Unless somebody comes with some hack...

Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    I don't think it will work. Although the One is unblocked and Global Ready, it's configured so that you can't use it in any other network in the US besides Verizon. Unless somebody comes with some hack...
    It should work on tmobile or Verizon but you would need to edit the apn for data. Both my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II and Note 3 are factory sim unlocked and work on US carriers out of the box. The Note II was apn locked but the lock was removed in an update. The one should be the same.

Even my old htc rezound was factory sim unlocked and that phone was way older than the one.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I was able to get my Verizon HTC One (m7) to work on T-Mobile. Calls and texts worked, but data was problematic. No matter what I did (myself, and the geeky tech employee) we couldn't get it to work on their 4G. I've heard the baseband can be flashed, but I don't know if that's true (and my research has turned up nothing).

I'd be curious to see if anyone's had luck with getting their Verizon HTC One to work on either T-Mobile or AT&T.
    Flashoholic!!

Im on sprint but i do know the sim is for LTE purposes only. So i would assume yo will need a verizon LTE sim to get data over LTE. Also it sounds like unlocking your phone now will legal as lng as yo are not nder any contract.

I am actually using a verizon htc one m7 on att network and it does in fact work, just swap out sim cards and edit apn settings and ur all done

I just switched from Verizon to Att but the APN settings are disabled. I can't change them. Data is as slow as G! not even 2G. And I can't add any new entries (i.e. new APN) either. Please advise. I don't want to go back to Verizon!!!

I just switched from verizon to at&t with this phone and everything is working except the data is really slow. according to speedtest its stuck at 0.2 mbps! I took the phone into the att store and the salesperson set it up but i think she screwed up the apn settings. I'm trying to change the apn settings now but it won't let me add a new apn or change the settings. For those who got it to work right what settings did you put in

I just switched from verizon to at&t with this phone and everything is working except the data is really slow. according to speedtest its stuck at 0.2 mbps! I took the phone into the att store and the salesperson set it up but i think she screwed up the apn settings. I'm trying to change the apn settings now but it won't let me add a new apn or change the settings. For those who got it to work right what settings did you put in

I'm in the same boat i have t mobile data working fine but when att sim goes in unable to edit the APN.

Has anyone got it working on ATT??