HTC One Battery Life Issues

flashhawk

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm 18 years old and am fairly tech savvy.

I recently got my HTC One about 2 days ago and everything is working fine except for the battery life. Using an app called "Easy Battery Saver" it shows me how much battery life I have to do certain tasks. On a full charge here are the statistics: 6.0 hrs of talk time, 4.0 hrs of web surfing, 10.0 hrs of audio playback, and 5.0 hrs of video playback. I know these numbers aren't completely accurate, but when using this phone throughout the day they are very close. I am running everything to optimize battery performance, lowest brightness, no auto-sync, no wi-fi when the phone is turned off, and even an app that auto-kills running apps after a short period.

I'm just wondering if there is something I've missed, and will it sort itself out in a few days?

Thanks,
Flashhawk

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Post a screenshot of the actual battery stats screens. These numbers you posted really don't matter unless we have context such as screen-on time and mobile network signal strength. You could be going through some low-signal areas and the phone is murdering battery while trying to stay connected.

Also app-killers are the worst thing you can do for Android, and end up hurting battery. The app-killer will end up in a tug of war with the apps it's trying to kill, as the apps will keep trying to re-assert themselves and hang out in their natural suspended state in RAM. App-killing may have played a role back in the Froyo/Gingerbread days where phones had 512MB RAM or less but ever since ICS it's best to let Android manage that aspect of operation.

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm 18 years old and am fairly tech savvy.

I recently got my HTC One about 2 days ago and everything is working fine except for the battery life. Using an app called "Easy Battery Saver" it shows me how much battery life I have to do certain tasks. On a full charge here are the statistics: 6.0 hrs of talk time, 4.0 hrs of web surfing, 10.0 hrs of audio playback, and 5.0 hrs of video playback. I know these numbers aren't completely accurate, but when using this phone throughout the day they are very close. I am running everything to optimize battery performance, lowest brightness, no auto-sync, no wi-fi when the phone is turned off, and even an app that auto-kills running apps after a short period.

I'm just wondering if there is something I've missed, and will it sort itself out in a few days?

Thanks,
Flashhawk

get rid of the task killer (the app that kills running apps) and any other battery apps you have installed, keep your screen brightness to 30% or auto if 30% is too dim for you. Screen off time to 30/45 sec and use this app. it works real well with the last update https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app.

The other stuff you are doing is fine. You can even turn on auto sync again if you want. Remember, running games and movies/videos will kill your battery no mater what.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Jrocker get rid of the task killer, that alone may be killing your battery. As for the battery app, while it won't try to predict what you have power for, the built in battery display will tell you a percentage of battery left. You can find it under settings>power>show battery level. This I think would be of more use to you than trying to figure out what you can, maybe, do and it will use far less resources I'm sure. I also agree with projektorboy, if you think your not getting a good life out of your battery post an end of day screen shot of your usage. Settings>power>history then press and hold the power button and press the home button. Being that you had only had the phone for a few days when you posted this have seen any improvement after a few charging cycles? I also recommend that you not run your device until it turns its self off. I did this just a few times and noticed my battery life shorten. I heard, after I'd done it of course, that it's not good for the battery. Since the last time I did it my battery usage seems to have improved, but it has taken several charging cycles, and I still don't feel it is the best it's been.

The best advice I can offer to get a little better life from your battery is Airplane mode. Especially if, as projektorboy pointed out, you are moving through varying signal strength areas or times when you have no signal. For instance I get little or no signal at work so I'm always in Airplane mode there. I can usually get close to 18 hours out of mine if I use AM at work. I still check notifications and such at break, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything that way. I shouldn't be responding or checking anything in between anyway. I wouldn't turn off auto sync either. If you feel it's using that much power change the frequency. I think on Wi-Fi it stays up to date anyway, so this will just prevent so many of those short frequent bursts. Plus if your not getting good reception at those times the phone has to work a bit harder too.

Well let us know if anything has improved for you, I'm sure more people will chime in, because we all have our own recipes for getting a bit more power from the battery we were given.

flashhawk

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for the feedback,
Here is a screenshot of my usage, as you can see I ran out of battery late in the day, even with getting some charge time. I have uninstalled the app killer, hopefully that will help with some battery life. I have also installed the Snapdragon battery app, I guess it seems to be helping, the attached screenshot was when it was running 24/7. Everywhere I am (School, work, house) has great wi-fi, 4G, and radio reception so I'm fairly certain my battery problems aren't coming from my phone struggling to connect with any of those services. I've had the phone for about 3 weeks and the battery has had many full charge cycles. I am conservative when it comes to screen brightness, and auto is usually the brightest I ever have it set to. Just wondering if this is normal battery life in the HTC One or I could tweak some settings still.

Thank you all,
Flashhawk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-12-00-30-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-12-00-30-18.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 54

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the Easy Battery Saver is draining your battery, i use that app myself and have never had any issues with battery drain.
Have you updated or downloaded any new apps lately?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie