I've been spoiled by only ever owning a Nexus...

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been a nexus user since the N1. However I made the mistake of signing a contract (won't do that again) when I switched over to Verizon for the GNex. Now I'm stuck on Verizon until June when the rest of my family contract ends and I get get off Verizon.

My GNEX was never going to make it, so I got an off contract HTC one to hold me over for the last 7-8 months...

Here is my issue: Only having ever owned Nexus phones I've been spoiled. Unlocking, Rooting, flashing ROMS is a piece of cake. I'm comfy in ADB and it's a process I know like the back of my hand. With the HTC One I feel a little lost. S-off, rooting, and flashing custom GPE ROMS seems to be something that is pretty fragile and I can't seem to find a GPE ROM without issues. At least according to forums on XDA and Rootzwiki.

I know it's possible because I can see the postings, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive guide to what is required to S-off, Root, and flash custom ROMS to the VERIZON HTC one. I can find broken threads that are either mixed for GSM/Verizon or are old and the ROMS don't seem to be solid.

Is there a good guide and a ROM list for the VERIZON HTC one anywhere? Or is it still a bit of a work in progress?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been a nexus user since the N1. However I made the mistake of signing a contract (won't do that again) when I switched over to Verizon for the GNex. Now I'm stuck on Verizon until June when the rest of my family contract ends and I get get off Verizon.

My GNEX was never going to make it, so I got an off contract HTC one to hold me over for the last 7-8 months...

Here is my issue: Only having ever owned Nexus phones I've been spoiled. Unlocking, Rooting, flashing ROMS is a piece of cake. I'm comfy in ADB and it's a process I know like the back of my hand. With the HTC One I feel a little lost. S-off, rooting, and flashing custom GPE ROMS seems to be something that is pretty fragile and I can't seem to find a GPE ROM without issues. At least according to forums on XDA and Rootzwiki.

I know it's possible because I can see the postings, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive guide to what is required to S-off, Root, and flash custom ROMS to the VERIZON HTC one. I can find broken threads that are either mixed for GSM/Verizon or are old and the ROMS don't seem to be solid.

Is there a good guide and a ROM list for the VERIZON HTC one anywhere? Or is it still a bit of a work in progress?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What makes everything harder, to my knowledge, is Verizon locks down their phones, even beyond the OEM lock. This makes it harder to crack, and I think that it what is holding up rooting and flashing procedures.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually... I was able to finally piece it together after a few hours of fiddling.

Now bootloader unlocked, rooted, and running a nice 4.3 rom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually... I was able to finally piece it together after a few hours of fiddling.

Now bootloader unlocked, rooted, and running a nice 4.3 rom

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Which ROM are you running? I have been holding off awaiting the factory updates to 4.3/4.4, but don't wish to wait any longer. I need a good daily driver that is very stable. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I, like you, had a GNEX for quite a while. Also, if you have pieced something together for the process of unlocking bootloader, S-off, etc., could you post it? Thanks!

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi -

I went with Cyanogen just because I've run it before and I knew what to expect. There were some other roms posted over on XDA but most seem to have custom features that I wasn't interested in. What I really wanted was a vanilla ROM that was stable. I couldn't find one that was daily driver ready (based on the comments/reported bugs)

I didn't post a "guide" back because I didn't feel comfortable posting a guide when I myself was simply bumbling through learning as I went. I can tell you that the hardest part was figuring out what order, and what to do things. Once I figured that out the forums here and on XDA had all the information I needed and I found it by googling.

Here are the steps I went through...or better put..what I Googled to piece info together

"How to S-off and Root Verizon HTC one
"how to load custom recovery on verizon HTC one"
"4.3 ROM Verizon HTC One"

That was the order that I did things and each search returned plenty of guides on the individual topic. The hardest part was filtering out all the guides that were intended for the GSM/GPE versions. Just make sure you're following a guide for the VERIZON model.

I never found a definitive guide for everything. What I did was ready multiple versions of the directions, learn as much as I could about pitfalls/gotchas and once I felt comfortable I went for it. Once you get S-off (not really necessary), root, and a custom recovery it is much like the GNEX. The only difference I've found is that the ROMS are just not as plenty full.