Is the Verizon HTC One GSM capable?

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a droid DNA and just bought a HTC One off contract. Can I buy a Straight talk ATT compatible SIM and use it in this phone? What data speeds would I get?

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
the htc one will not work with anyone but verizon. the htc one is not unlocked... The DNA was and could have been used on different carriers

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe so.. I think at best it could be used overseas on GSM carriers but otherwise its locked down signal/data speaking to Verizon in the US. Basically the same story with some of the newer Sprint phones, they are locked to Sprint in the US but are capable of GSM carriers overseas.

Bottom line Verizon and Sprint are CDMA based carriers with certain models having GSM capability for traveling abroad overseas on GSM carriers but not locally in the US.

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
so whats the verdict on this? CAN YOU USE AN HTC ONE on Straight Talk At&t Sim?

Mine will be here the 26th. I'm keeping my DNA on Verizon as I have unlimited data. Was looking to see if i could like Straight talk or another service and if it was good enough I would change over. I looked up Aio Wireless and entered my DNA MEI and it said it was approved. They run on ATT and have 4G coverage all over my area. But they also work off of a SIM they send you.

The thing is I don't want to order either ST for $51+ bucks with an air time card or AIO Wireless unless I know it would work with the One. I have not found that out yet either.

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
This is the response I got from Straight talk:

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding
to your recent inquiry.

Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) Program allows you to use your cellular
phones to Straight Talk by buying a SIM card and an Unlimited Service
Card. It gives you the ability to use virtually any compatible or
unlocked domestic GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or SIM
card-capable phones. The phone must operate in 850 and 1900 MHz bands.
Regular (mini) and micro SIM cards are available on our website and at
Walmart.com: Save money. Live better..

This also includes CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) or non-SIM card
phones. You need to purchase a Network Access Code along with the
Unlimited Service Card. The Network Access Code will serve as a key to
load and identify the phone in our system then complete its one-time
registration. BlackBerrys, LTE devices and branded TracFone, SafeLink,
NET10 or Straight Talk phones will not work with this program.

Looking up the Verizon bands for the One I get this:

Specs
Compare side-by-side vs...
Modes
more detail
LTE 1900
WCDMA 1900 / 2100
CDMA 800 / 850 / 1900
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
Verizon version supports LTE 750 instead of 1900

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth, I can put an att sim in my bone stock Verizon S3 (on 4.3), set the new APN and voice, text, MMS and data work. The data is Edge, but everything does work.

I switched to att and the HTC one and tried my sim out in my old S3.

Posted via Android Central App

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a work around to get faster than edge data on the s3. I saw a post on xda.

I ordered a SIM and I'll see how it goes. Worse comes to worst I'll just have to stick with Verizon and swap out my DNA for the one.

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Well the SIM card works. I get text, calls, no sms though. Data is only Edge on the HTC One. I switched the SIM card to my Droid DNA and I get an H symbol instead. Speed is decent on H and I wish the One would also get it but I guess it does not have the proper bands.

alvidtech

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a droid DNA and just bought a HTC One off contract. Can I buy a Straight talk ATT compatible SIM and use it in this phone? What data speeds would I get?

I have a verizon HTC one And put a straight talk SIM card in it yesterday. It switched to att and had 4g and calling was working. Didn't check the sms.

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a verizon HTC one And put a straight talk SIM card in it yesterday. It switched to att and had 4g and calling was working. Didn't check the sms.

Wait how did you get 4g? All I get is edge. What apn are you using ? I even tried a tmobile SIM card and same thing just getting edge. Are you sure it's a Verizon phone? Is it rooted or running another Rom ?

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait how did you get 4g? All I get is edge. What apn are you using ? I even tried a tmobile SIM card and same thing just getting edge. Are you sure it's a Verizon phone? Is it rooted or running another Rom ?
Edge is a tradename for TMobile's data network. It's sort of 2.5G speed. So maybe your SIM connects to the Tmob network and you only get Edge, and the other guy's Straight Talk SIM connects with ATT and gets 4G. Straight Talk doesn't have their own network, they use other carriers.

alvidtech

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
OK. So what happened was my aunt thought she could just buy a straight talk sim card activation pack from her local walmart and put it in her old 4g Samsung phone. not sure what model it was. It was one of those free 4g samsungs they did for a while. Long story short she activated the att sim card from the walmart sim card pack she purchased and put it in the phone and it was of course not working. I went over there to see what I could do and out of curiosity i took my Verizon sim card out of my new HTC one and put in the att straight talk sim card she had already set up and activated with the service plan and after initializing the 4g lte logo showed up and i got a text message saying welcome to straight talk your new number is ***-***-**** . I then went to my settings and pulled up the network settings and the network name was AT&T. I saw the 4g logo the whole time. The only thing i didnt check was my apn settings. i didnt even change them. I didnt see if mms was working. All these things i should have done im sorry i didnt lol. I re-inserted my verizon sim card and 4g pulled back up and the settings were all back to verizon and my number was back to my verizon number. i hope this helps. she never did get a at&t phone for the sim card. i may see if she will let me borrow it tomorrow and do a full review on it. ill upoad a video and post for all of you to see.

alvidtech

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I didnt change anything. I simply put my friends straight talk sim card in my htc one and it worked. i got a sms saying welocme to straight talk. i didnt check the web browsing or mms but the 4g was on. and carrier was at&t. it is a verizon htc one and no root or custom rom

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Edge is a tradename for TMobile's data network. It's sort of 2.5G speed. So maybe your SIM connects to the Tmob network and you only get Edge, and the other guy's Straight Talk SIM connects with ATT and gets 4G. Straight Talk doesn't have their own network, they use other carriers.

I have both an ATT and Tmobile ST sim card and still only get edge on my Verizon HTC one with correct APN settings. Even exchanged the phone for a new one and the same thing. Not sure how you are getting 4g speeds. Everyone that has tried it on a verizon Htc one has only gotten Edge, at least over on XDA. Not sure what that means.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I have both an ATT and Tmobile ST sim card and still only get edge on my Verizon HTC one with correct APN settings. Even exchanged the phone for a new one and the same thing. Not sure how you are getting 4g speeds. Everyone that has tried it on a verizon Htc one has only gotten Edge, at least over on XDA. Not sure what that means.

I am not an expert when it comes to network connectivity, but does T-Mobile or ATT use more than one band for LTE/HSPA? It's possible that the other poster is in an area where ATT's LTE is on a compatible band, maybe it's running on a different band in your area?

Other possibility is that by "4G", maybe alvidtech's HTC One was actually on HSPA+? I know ATT & T-Mobile were (and maybe still are) blurring the lines between HSPA and true 4G LTE.

nickrevis

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I am using a Verizon wireless HTC one on metropcs. While I love the phone and it does work great I only get 2g data and have an E error above my little action arrows in status bar. Anyone else have this problem of know how tofix it back to 4glte please let me know. I have not noticed any lag or lack there of with the data or speed but thought I would bring up the issue. But it is gsm compatible and works with no known problems on metropcs

Salim Elayan

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I am not an expert when it comes to network connectivity, but does T-Mobile or ATT use more than one band for LTE/HSPA? It's possible that the other poster is in an area where ATT's LTE is on a compatible band, maybe it's running on a different band in your area?

Tmobile and ATT at times use different bands. I know that he was actually not getting 4G LTE, but he was getting HSPA. I have no idea what the difference could be. I live in a large city where Tmobile refarmed the area for 4G and ATT is really good in terms of coverage and speed where I live too.

One thing I know is that I popped that sim card in my Droid DNA and I got the "4G" alvidtech was talking about. Not sure why it worked on the DNA and not the one, both are devices from Verizon and have the same GSM Bands:

HTC One from Verizon:

more detail
LTE 1900
WCDMA 1900 / 2100
CDMA 800 / 850 / 1900
Verizon version supports LTE 750 instead of 1900

Droid DNA:

Compare side-by-side vs...
Modes
more detail
LTE 750
WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
CDMA 850 / 1900

Other possibility is that by "4G", maybe alvidtech's HTC One was actually on HSPA+? I know ATT & T-Mobile were (and maybe still are) blurring the lines between HSPA and true 4G LTE.

I am using a Verizon wireless HTC one on metropcs. While I love the phone and it does work great I only get 2g data and have an E error above my little action arrows in status bar. Anyone else have this problem of know how tofix it back to 4glte please let me know. I have not noticed any lag or lack there of with the data or speed but thought I would bring up the issue. But it is gsm compatible and works with no known problems on metropcs

You need the Tmobile branded HTC One for 4GLTE on Metropcs. Yes they say you can bring your own phone but Metro Uses Tmobile's towers and the Verizon HTC One does not have the Bands that Tmobile uses for 4G. You will only get Edge. Which is why I'm so curious as to why alvidtech's Verizon One gets HSPA on ST when mine got only Edge on both Tmobile and ATT Sim cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech