Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Turn Auto Sync Off?

I have turned auto sync off to conserve battery. Is this a good option?
    If it does conserve battery, I believe it is best option as I do not mind going into my certain apps to sync. As it is, I sync 2 emails manually and a third syncs every hour.

For that 3rd email, being a gmail acct, will it still sync every hour now that I have auto sync off?

Default Re: Turn Auto Sync Off?

Synch what, email? That's probably not gonna save battery. I don't want mine to automatically update apps. When I said yes it wanted to up update apps constantly. I update them maybe once a month, all of them using WiFi, when it's plugged in .

Default Re: Turn Auto Sync Off?

No I don't think it will sync unless you open the GMail app. Will turning off auto sync save you battery? In some ways yes, but it really comes down to your use. If you have several apps that update frequently, Facebook, email, news feeds, weather and the like, then you may save some. IMO the better option is to set frequencies for those apps and when possible set them to update over WiFi only. This way I can leave auto sync on just because I don't want to always have to open an app to get updates or manually remember to update. For example my Weather Bug only updates twice a day. I only need to know the weather in the morning and maybe in the evening, if I need it more often I'll open the app. My market updates, updates to the apps themselves, is set to only update over WiFi, but I want those updates as soon as they are available.

IMO if you really want to save battery Airplane Mode is key. If you are in places that you have little or no signal or a time when you are away from the device then Airplane Mode could be the answer to saving more battery than Auto Sync.