Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default False Battery Reading When Charging

After the 4.3 update, I noticed that my HTC One will provide a false battery charge level. For instance, if it's plugged in, I will see the meter indicate that the battery is at 100% and the battery icon will be a solid green. If I unplug it, wait a moment and plug it back in, the true charge will display (for instance, 93%) and will show the charging icon again. I have to do this repeatedly (unplug, wait, plug back in) until it gets to a true 100% again.

Now, I know that a lot of phones stop accepting a charge when it hits 100% (especially overnight) to protect the battery. What I used to do (before 4.3 update) was unplug it in the morning, let it drop to it's true level while I got ready for work, then charge it back up during my commute to a true 100% using my car charger.

Now, after the update, my car charger does the same thing. I could plug it in at 88% and pretty quickly it will say that the phone is at 100%, but if I unplug and plug back in, it will show that the battery is actually at (for instance) 94% and start charging it again. I haven't noticed any battery life issues, I just like to get my battery to 100% before getting to work or if I am heading into the city for the night so I have max battery for the day / evening.

Another example is using GPS and having my phone plugged in in my car. My charger (rapid charger, simulates AC charge) used to be able to keep charging my phone while the GPS / screen was on. Now, it will say 100% on a long drive, but when I unplug and replug the level will be at 88% because it stopped accepting a charge (or something) and the GPS / screen was eating up battery, despite being plugged into my car charger and it displaying 100%.

I know that is a lot, just wanted to point out times when I have noticed it most and was curious if anyone else was having the same problem or found a solution? Just a pain to keep unplugging and plugging back in to make sure I have a true 100%, especially if I have to use GPS for a while and I want to make sure my phone is actually completely charged when I get to my destination.

Thanks!

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Default Re: False Battery Reading When Charging

Battery indicators lie, that's what they do. I believe Jerry did a really nice write up of why the battery meter lies. It'd pretty old but a good read anyway and very informative. I'll see if I can find it.

Posted via Android Central App
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Default Re: False Battery Reading When Charging

I recall reading on a different thread about this and I too had the problem. The answer was that there is a rapid charge up front that brings you to "100%" but will drop down as described if you unplug when the green light first goes on. It then goes to a "trickle" charge for like another half hour if I recall and that finishes it off. I found that made the difference for me. I also found it took about a week for the phone to adapt and get back to a decent usage pattern.