Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Do I Transfer Stuff to this Phone?

I have some movies made using iPhoto, basically slideshows with music converted to a movie. And some photos in iPhoto. When I connect the One this HTC program opens, but it's only for music. And a CD or DVD icon appears on the homescreen, but when I click on that the HTC transfer program window comes up. There is removable drive icon on the screen like there is when I plug in a thumb drive. How do I do that stuff? Thanks.
    Edit: The phone tutorial says I have to use HTC Synch manager. I used that for iTunes music OK. I didn't see any way to transfer movies. I'll try it for photos. I can't believe you can't just drag and drop stuff on here like a thumb drive.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 01-28-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    HTC One Verizon

Default Re: How Do I Transfer Stuff to this Phone?

I don't have a One, but I saw that kind of behavior with my old Razr Maxx. If I just exited out of the initial CD/DVD dialog box that asked me run the lousy Motorola software, then I would be able to access the phone's storage. What happens if you just click on the red X in the corner to close out of the CD/DVD dialog box?

Also, is your phone's USB connection set to MTP? Swipe down the notifications when you're connected via USB, select the USB notification, and see what kind of connection it is.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I don't have a One, but I saw that kind of behavior with my old Razr Maxx. If I just exited out of the initial CD/DVD dialog box that asked me run the lousy Motorola software, then I would be able to access the phone's storage. What happens if you just click on the red X in the corner to close out of the CD/DVD dialog box?

Also, is your phone's USB connection set to MTP? Swipe down the notifications when you're connected via USB, select the USB notification, and see what kind of connection it is.
    OK I'll try and close the HTC program and see. I didn't actually check the phone because it would let me transfer stuff using HTC so I figured that was OK.
    HTC One Verizon

If HTC Sync works, then that's fine. But those types of sync programs can be clunky, so the Windows Explorer drag-and-drop option is always nice to have.

I had to boot my computer with the phone plugged in to get it to be recognized in finder (I'm on a Mac). After that, I can drag and drop.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by woodynorman View Post
    I had to boot my computer with the phone plugged in to get it to be recognized in finder (I'm on a Mac). After that, I can drag and drop.
    Thanks, that's the first time anyone mentioned that. Maybe then I can transfer an unprotected movie from iTunes. It says the HTC thing will transfer iTunes playlists, but I didn't see that option, just songs/albums.
    HTC One Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Thanks, that's the first time anyone mentioned that. Maybe then I can transfer an unprotected movie from iTunes. It says the HTC thing will transfer iTunes playlists, but I didn't see that option, just songs/albums.
    You might want to look at Airdroid app. It seems to allow the drag and drop too.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Another app that makes it even easier is Wifi Explorer. No cables, just open the app, enter the address into your browser and bingo! You're in.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Wifi explorer maybe

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

I used drop box to transfer my photos, you can do the same with any other files. And they are not stored on the phone taking up space

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Another app that makes it even easier is Wifi Explorer. No cables, just open the app, enter the address into your browser and bingo! You're in.
    Is that an App from Playstore or my iMac? Enter what address into my browser?

Quote Originally Posted by joe_fresh View Post
    I used drop box to transfer my photos, you can do the same with any other files. And they are not stored on the phone taking up space

I do use Dropbox to transfer photos, but there are a lot on my iPhoto that came from older burned discs and cameras. I think only phone pix make it into Dropbox.
    HTC One Verizon

I think Wanda might be referring to Wifi File Explorer. When you install it on your device, you can access its storage using your computer browser, as long as the computer is connected to the same wifi network.

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

I do use Dropbox to transfer photos, but there are a lot on my iPhoto that came from older burned discs and cameras. I think only phone pix make it into Dropbox.
    Once you set it up on your PC you can try it. Drop box will tell you which files it can handle and sync. I've used it for music as well

Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think Wanda might be referring to Wifi File Explorer. When you install it on your device, you can access its storage using your computer browser, as long as the computer is connected to the same wifi network.
    Exactly what B.Diddy said. It's the app he linked to.

Once you open the app it gives you a browser address to put in on your iMac (assuming the phone and Mac are on the same WiFi network). From there you can upload files to whatever file directory you want, be that music, photo's etc. It's a great app and is very convenient.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates