Beats Audio vs DSP?

Wetzilla

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not really an audiophile, but I can definitely tell the difference between good sounding audio and bad, and for the most part every phone I've used has sounded pretty poor compared to my zune HD. From what I've heard of the sound on the rhyme, it's much better, but it's basically just a equalizer setting, and only works (for now) with HTC's music app. I'm really torn between this and the Galaxy Nexus, could DSP manager do pretty much the same thing as Beats Audio? Or is there some other magic that HTC is working in the system to give an overall better audio experience?

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, Beats is just a software enhancement of already compressed music. A lot of people are tricked into thinking Beats is top notch audio cause the headphones/ear buds are actually somewhat decent (overpriced, but still decent) and they've never heard of what an equalizer can do.

I wouldn't buy the Rezound just for Beats, but it for the phone it is. Beats is just a nice add on. That being said you can more than likely create an equal or better listening experience on any new phone coming out. You may need to buy PowerAMP and some decent ear buds (like....40 bucks) but the audio quality will be just as good, if not better.

Wetzilla

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't going to buy it just for that, but it is one of the pluses over the galaxy nexus. I've got a pair of decent earbuds, so if I can basically recreate the experience on the Galaxy Nexus then I'll probably just wait the week or so for that.

jlongjr27

May 30, 2011
Visit site
That was a good question. I have another angle. I was wondering if there was something better about the hardware. I use bluetooth audio in my car and would like the best audio quality possible. If there is no difference, hardware wise, between this phone and any other phone I will probably won't look at this phone as closely.

alltweed

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I found that beats does seem to be able to auto sync to different songs well adding a presence that is subtle but noticible. I like it.

I have the RZ and experimented with beats and a free eq by smart android apps (9,000 downloads)... Their is a presence tonality beats offers..

To my ears the best solution,however was using both beats and the EQ!. I transferred all my itunes aac to the RZ so I could use the default music player that uses beats and turn on the EQ as well. If you use the eq set the eq and effects yourself vs picking a preset.

This combining of effects is something well known to guitarist who use various overdrive pedals stacked to give a fuller richer tone with more tonal flavors to choose.

Your milege may vary.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Beats is, at its base on these phones, just an EQ panel. The quality of sound you hear has to do with 3 main parts: source quality, player/program, and speaker quality. If I had to hand out percentages of importance to those, I'd say its 50%, 15%, 35%. In that equation, beats is PART of the 15%, with the actual music player being the main portion of that. But, it still does have some importance. If the software you're using is crap, it won't decompress/translate the file well enough and create a bad sounding, well, sound. Beats can't fix that. But, if the program does a decent job, beats will help it sound better to your ears.

Beats headphones are pretty good. A little expensive? Yes (as they are produced by Monster, well known for their price premiums on basic items). But, they are good. What the beats panel does is let you tweak your music to sound better to you...more bass, more treble, lower mids, etc.

I'm sure, due to this, the Rezound does sound a little better than most phones, and from what I've heard, especially the Galaxy Nexus. Sole reason to buy though? Not really.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of S5i that I paid $36 for, they sound better than the "$100 beats headphones" to me.

Deron Baker

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Rezound used from Ebay, minus the earbuds. I bought some Klipsch s4 earbuds + Comply foam earbuds tips and this works really well with the beats audio sound equalizer. I listen to a lot of extreme metal and don't like my earbuds to have too much bass (like the Skullcandy FMJ earbuds do). The Klipsch s4 earbuds provide a balanced sound and do not over-enhance the bass. They provide some of the cleanest sound I've ever heard coming from headphones.

In the Brookstone store today I was able to test out the beats by dre touring earbuds (the $150 ones) while plugged into my Rezound. I must say that I was impressed. More bass than the Klipsch s4, but not overpowering. Still, at half the price of the beats touring earbuds, the klipsch s4 provide an equally good sound.

Sent from HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.