Simultaneous voice and data over 3G?

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
I know because of how the radios were setup in the Thunderbolt it allowed for simultaneous voice and data, even in 3G areas. And other phones, like the Bionic, could do simultaneous voice/data in 4G/LTE areas or 3G areas with Wifi for data.

Which way is the Rezound?

compchick813

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I know because of how the radios were setup in the Thunderbolt it allowed for simultaneous voice and data, even in 3G areas. And other phones, like the Bionic, could do simultaneous voice/data in 4G/LTE areas or 3G areas with Wifi for data.

Which way is the Rezound?

Everyone is saying that the Rezound will be like the Thunderbolt, which is backed up by the FCC docs. So happy about this feature!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody actually gotten a Rezound and tried this yet?

Make a call, in an area where you do not have 4G coverage, and then surf the web on the phone browser while you're still talking on the phone?

This feature is one of the main reasons I got a Thunderbolt. But, I would really like to upgrade to a phone that can do the same thing and also last all day on a full battery charge....

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but here goes. If you tether the phone to the laptop, would it still be able to receive data? My BB, when tethered, can receive phone calls, but no data. How do the new Androids function in that respect?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
That is the same issue.

Any 4G phone can do data (i.e. use the browser on the phone or get to the Internet from a tethered laptop) and let you talk on the phone at the same time - AS LONG AS IT HAS A 4G SIGNAL.

However, on Verizon, there is only one phone (or possibly 2, if the Rezound can do it) that I know of that can do data and voice simultaneously in areas that do not have 4G. That phone is the Thunderbolt.

Of course, there are no Blackberrys or iPhones that do 4G LTE at all, so Android phones are the only ones on Verizon that can do any kind simultaneous voice and data.

I just want to know what other phone(s) besides the Thunderbolt can do 3G data and voice.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
and also last all day on a full battery charge....

Just curious . . . what gave you the impression that the Rezound will be able to last all day? I heard HTC once again put a relatively small battery in this 4G phone.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That is the same issue.

Any 4G phone can do data (i.e. use the browser on the phone or get to the Internet from a tethered laptop) and let you talk on the phone at the same time - AS LONG AS IT HAS A 4G SIGNAL.

However, on Verizon, there is only one phone (or possibly 2, if the Rezound can do it) that I know of that can do data and voice simultaneously in areas that do not have 4G. That phone is the Thunderbolt.

Of course, there are no Blackberrys or iPhones that do 4G LTE at all, so Android phones are the only ones on Verizon that can do any kind simultaneous voice and data.

I just want to know what other phone(s) besides the Thunderbolt can do 3G data and voice.

I'm not sure. I'm not talking about getting data while talking on the phone. I'm talking about getting data (say, email) while the phone tethered to the computer, providing net access for the laptop. With my BB, while tethered, I get calls, but I have to untether to have my email pushed. Or, if the phone acts as a wireless hotspot (i.e., no tether) this is no longer even an issue?

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure. I'm not talking about getting data while talking on the phone. I'm talking about getting data (say, email) while the phone tethered to the computer, providing net access for the laptop. With my BB, while tethered, I get calls, but I have to untether to have my email pushed. Or, if the phone acts as a wireless hotspot (i.e., no tether) this is no longer even an issue?

Every Android phone that I've seen can use data (sync email etc) while in wifi tethering mode (sharing data with a laptop or tablet), so it sounds like that is different from Blackberry.

The unique thing about the Thunderbolt (and possibly the Rezound) is that while wifi tethering, the phone can receive phone calls WITHOUT interrupting the data tethering, while on a 3G connection. All of VZW Android 4G phones can do this when connected with 4G, but the Thunderbolt has been unique in this aspect.

Reactions: Simon_y7

kenc3dan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I just made a call and brought up Android Central in the browser while the Rezound was showing 3G as the active network.
Calls + 3G Data?!
Looks like it.
:)

Last edited:

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Oh, sorry. Yes, you can have your Android phone tethered or acting as a Hotspot and it will still get push email and you can surf the Web on your phone all at the same time.

Reactions: Simon_y7

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just made a call and brought up Android Central in the browser while the Rezound was showing 3G as the active network.
Calls + 3G Data?!
Looks like it.
:)

Thanks, kenc3dan! Excellent news!

Now to see how the battery life pans out for folks.... If it's not signficantly better than my TB, then I'll just stick with the TB.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Every Android phone that I've seen can use data (sync email etc) while in wifi tethering mode (sharing data with a laptop or tablet), so it sounds like that is different from Blackberry.

The unique thing about the Thunderbolt (and possibly the Rezound) is that while wifi tethering, the phone can receive phone calls WITHOUT interrupting the data tethering, while on a 3G connection. All of VZW Android 4G phones can do this when connected with 4G, but the Thunderbolt has been unique in this aspect.

Asked a salesperson the same question. He proceeded to draw me a diagram to show why it's technically impossible while tethering. Then I asked him what about using the phone as a mobile hotspot (no tether)? He said,"Maybe it'd work, but poorly." I wondered if he had any idea what he was talking about.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11