HTC Rezound: No FM Radio App .... :)

SurfingJerry

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: No FM Radio App .... :)

any luck with this yet?

I mentioned to someone with a Droid X and he said "oh I have that, but I've never tried it."

had to use headphones to act as antennae but it worked VERY WELL!

he said he just uses internet radio but then he wouldn't stop playing with real fm radio.

hoping someone finds a way to confirm and to get it functioning.

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

What about if someone had rooted sense 3.5 on their Tbolt? Would that not possibly yield a working FM Radio app that could be applied to the Rezound? How could one check on the physical hardware that the FM chip was included, even if it is inaccessible at this time? With good people like team BAMF on the job for rooting, it is a possibility, if the chip is there. I remember when FFC options started on the overseas phones, and the Verizon ones would somehow have them omitted but the chip was still there. Until someone says that the chip is not physically there, which would be really odd on a media Beats phone, I would hope for the best. It's probably the pay radio folks paying Verizon to "lose" the feature so that people have to pay - OR - it may be that Beats audio apps don't work properly with the FM radio and so it was left off so that people wouldn't complain. In any case, I would still take the FM radio even if it sounded... "normal" - ha ha ha. :p

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

What about if someone had rooted sense 3.5 on their Tbolt? Would that not possibly yield a working FM Radio app that could be applied to the Rezound? How could one check on the physical hardware that the FM chip was included, even if it is inaccessible at this time? With good people like team BAMF on the job for rooting, it is a possibility, if the chip is there. I remember when FFC options started on the overseas phones, and the Verizon ones would somehow have them omitted but the chip was still there. Until someone says that the chip is not physically there, which would be really odd on a media Beats phone, I would hope for the best. It's probably the pay radio folks paying Verizon to "lose" the feature so that people have to pay - OR - it may be that Beats audio apps don't work properly with the FM radio and so it was left off so that people wouldn't complain. In any case, I would still take the FM radio even if it sounded... "normal" - ha ha ha. :p

Beats lilkely has nothing to do with it, the built in music app is the only thing that works with Beats but that did not prevent them from allowing Google Music, Slacker, and other apps on the device.

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Beats lilkely has nothing to do with it, the built in music app is the only thing that works with Beats but that did not prevent them from allowing Google Music, Slacker, and other apps on the device.

I agree, and this makes sense. SO we can probable assume like the other programs, IF there is a physical radio - the radio would not be tied to Beats. So then, if it's just a missing app, what would be interesting if someone has a radio app on a thunderbolt running sense 3.5 and see if that would work in the world of the Rezound. Perhaps the Rhyme has a radio and radio app that could be utilized?

If the Rezound were torn down on ifixit, like the Nexus recently was... where would one find the FM chip? Would it is a separate entity or be a part of the BT chip stack or something else?

I am just curious about these things.;)

SurfingJerry

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

Can someone with a working fm radio app check the contents of the dev directory and post the entry for the radio device (or the full directory listing for comparison).
Not that I'd know what to do with it from there,but it might help figure out if the radio exists at all.
Also, can someone share their radio app? This is my first android, so I have nowhere to extract it from.

Evil Hamster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes, if somebody has working files, I would appreciate knowing where to get them. I don't have the older phones either- just switched from blackberrys.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Beats doesn't work with anything other than HTC music. Because HTC has a majority stock in Beats. HTC did recently release the libraries for Beats so they can be integrated into other apps. Hopefully Google will do it just for giggles.

To the FM Radio, the radio app was dropped on a good number of devices that do support FM. I still haven't seen real confirmation that there is an FM radio in the Rezound. If there is one, I would imagine that HTC rather than Verizon put the kibosh on it...especially since I haven't found a phone with an FM radio that actually works as well as streaming does.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

I emailed htc yesterday. No response yet.
The Droid X I tried sounded great on FM radio.

My last phone was an X and I couldn't pickup a signal while sitting on top of the radio station. Plus you needed headphones plugged in to act as the antenna. Why can't we get HD radio over the internet already??

SurfingJerry

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

here's the response I gotfrom htc. Less than helpful.I guess I will have to show them the spec page.
-----
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the availability of FM radio capabilities on the HTC Rezound device.

Xxxxx, the Rezound contains a wireless radio to make use of applications such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and mobile network connections. However, I cannot provide information regarding any possible updates that may be developed for the device.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't believe the rep understood your question. I guess on this forum - if there is anyone who is knowledgeable about phone architecture - it would be nice of you to speak up. :) Is it plausible to think that the FM receiver be located with the bluetooth chip? It sounds reasonable, but still too vague a response to seem like they actually understood what you wanted. More like they just looked up the term radio in their .pdf file.

Don't give up yet, hopefully someone has a working app that they can send to the rest of us that don't have this app on their phone. That would solve all of the problems. :cool:

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

I don't believe the rep understood your question. I guess on this forum - if there is anyone who is knowledgeable about phone architecture - it would be nice of you to speak up. :) Is it plausible to think that the FM receiver be located with the bluetooth chip? It sounds reasonable, but still too vague a response to seem like they actually understood what you wanted. More like they just looked up the term radio in their .pdf file.

Don't give up yet, hopefully someone has a working app that they can send to the rest of us that don't have this app on their phone. That would solve all of the problems. :cool:
I believe he was saying that it might be available in possible future update but he can't say for sure.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site

Tune In Radio is not a bad substitute. Yeah, some stations are restricted, but there's a ton in my Boston area that aren't.

Nazzi Muhammad

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

When I had the iPhone I used ooTunes. It's the best radio app, hands down.

So, since I switched to the Rezound, I installed TuneIn the other day and it's ok. Lots of streams are restricted in TuneIn. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having this app. Heck, even some my local stations are restricted.

Which leads me back to ooTunes. The developer has somehow managed to get all of these stations to play on his app. But they won't play in TuneIn. Quite odd if you ask me. And even if you buy TuneIn pro, it does nothing to solve the issue of stations being restricted. If you get iHeart radio, my local streams play just fine, but not in TuneIn.

To my last point. I've been in contact with the developer of ooTunes since I started using it months ago. Really nice guy, responds fast. I asked him about whether or not he was going to work on the Android version of ooTunes. He responded saying he might. Not what I wanted to hear, but maybe if more people contact him he would do it.

iPhone / iPod iTouch / iPad Radio Streaming App

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

In /sys/devices is an entry for bcm4330 which has to be the Broadcom 4330 chip which does have FM TRANSCEIVER capabilities.

Broadcom.com - BCM4330 - 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver

Next step...

This is noteworthy - and we're moving in the right direction. :D So then if someone were running Sense 3.5 on their Thunderbolts, would this be a source for a possibly useful .apk file? Is there a way this can be accessed from the 3.5 build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance