HTC Rezound: No FM Radio App .... :)

JamesWolfpacker

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: No FM Radio App .... :)

Sorry, it seemed like you had the same type of flippant response that others had here and elsewhere regarding fm... "oh just use tune in"

I actually talked with an HTC tech person last night and he said the fm tuner is in the phone, he just can't talk about non-supported items.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, it seemed like you had the same type of flippant response that others had here and elsewhere regarding fm... "oh just use tune in"

I actually talked with an HTC tech person last night and he said the fm tuner is in the phone, he just can't talk about non-supported items.
Sorry if I came across wrong with my original post...

Yes, many phones have an FM tuner as part of the chipset, and the Rezound does have a chipset that supports FM reception but the antenna were not brought out of the chip, even as contacts, so in order to make effective use of it, you would almost have to be sitting on top of a 100,000 watt tower. If you had access to a board design or repair room with microscopes and microscoping soldering tools, you might have access to the equipment needed to find and connect the antenna leads, if they are exposed at all in the chipset, to a make-shift antenna and get it to work.

Interesting though, I did a quick search on Phone Scoop of current VZW phones with an FM radio, there are only 3... HTC One, HTC One Max, and the Casio Commando 4G/LTE, no other phones have a supported FM radio.

Kendal Ferguson

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I am very disappointed to learn that my Samsung note 3 don't have an fm receiver nor is it capable of installing adobe flash player. I traded up from a note ( which readily had both features) thinking I would get more features from a upgraded much more expensive phone . Is there a possible fix to this?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I am very disappointed to learn that my Samsung note 3 don't have an fm receiver nor is it capable of installing adobe flash player. I traded up from a note ( which readily had both features) thinking I would get more features from a upgraded much more expensive phone . Is there a possible fix to this?
This is not a Note 3 specific issue, Flash in general is dying in all operating systems... although slowly, and KitKat (JellyBean as well) has no direct support for it, but there are work arounds... You will need to manually install Flash Player and use a different browser that still has Flash support, for more details, look here: [VIDEO] Adobe Flash Install for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - xda-developers

As far as the FM radio issue, I think that feature is basically dead in all cell phones... just like terrestrial radio is becoming in general. Most chipsets for phones have the radio tuner capability built in to them, but no manufacturer I am aware of is bringing the antenna out of the chipset to use, and with it's miniaturized technology, it is impossible for even a highly skilled individual to do it themselves. The newest Qualcomm chipsets do not have the FM tuner support at all, although I see in some digging that MediaTek chipsets still do, but these chipsets are not used by "the big boys" for devices sold in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21