Rezound DIY dock, magnets, hacks

kenc3dan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Here is an album I made that shows the disassembly of the Rezound dekstop dock.
https://picasaweb.google.com/kenc3dan/RezoundDesktopDock?authuser=0&feat=directlink
As you can see the dock does not use the old magnet trick to communicate to the phone which type of dock it is. There are no magnets to be found in the dock at all. Somehow the USB block where the dock joins to the phone contains some sort of hardware trickery to let the phone know "Hey, I'm a desktop dock" versus a car dock. At least, I think so.
Can anyone shed any light on how this is done?
Is it a question of a resistor between two pins?
Is it the bizarro microUSB shield shape that you see in the photos?
I like to build my own docks for my phones and can't get them into any dock mode at all without understanding this mechanism.

kenc3dan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and here's a photo of the cable that resides inside the desktop dock. I think all the magic happens inside that white block.
IMAG0043-1.jpg

thumbedmonkey

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you get any farther with this experiment?

I want to get the "blessed" vehicle mount that can automagically enter Car mode. Unfortunately, I plan on using the extended battery AND a case. Apparently the car cradle can hold a naked phone with regular battery, a phone with regular battery in a case, or a naked phone with the extended battery.

I think paying $30 and immediatley hacking up the plastic cradle is my only option. My wife will LOVE to hear that.

I would prefer to buy a universal clamp mount and hack a $2 cable to accomplish the same thing.

Someone else (maybe you) on another forum had looked at the metal tip and its notches.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante