New convert from Blackberry

Evil Hamster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my Rezound for about a week now and have a few comments and questions.

Battery life on this thing just plain sucks. I have to have it plugged in every time I'm near an outlet or I'm afraid it will die. There's not even 4G in my area yet, it's only using 3G and I've heard the 4G radio will kill the battery faster.

Message handling is much more tedious than on my old BB. In part, it's probably because I'm not used to the tochscreen yet. I do miss the keyboard, but I needed the bigger screen because my eyes aren't as good as when I was younger. Other than that, Android could learn from the user interface on BB and improve.

Other than those 2 complaints, I do like this phone.

I realize most of the following questions are probably software and not hardware. If this is in the wrong forum, could a mod possibly move it to the right place?

I set the phone to request delivery reciepts from SMS. Now it puts an icon at the top of my screen every time a message gets delivered. On my BB- there was a visual indication only in the messaging app. Is there any way to get those reciepts without the annoying icon on the home screen?

It doesn't always make the appropriate sound when I get email/text message. How can I fix this?

I installed the gmail app which is great because I can see my entire inbox as compared to only the most recent messages which are on the phone. I like that flexibility, but I can't figure out how to make the gmail app not put a duplicate icon at the top of the home screen, and occasionally when it does occasionally make the email sound- I'll get it twice, once for the built in app and once for the gmail app. I'd prefer to turn off all notifications for the gmail app period and just have it there as a way to check my email history.

I installed Acrobat reader, but there is no icon to launch it, and I haven't figured out how to "browse" to the pdf I copied to the phone to read. Does anybody know how this is supposed to work?

After failing above, I converted the pdf into a mobipocket file and dropped it into my kindle folder. Now I can read it, but kindle won't synchronize the file with the same file on my computer. Is there a way I can do this?

Before I bought this phone, a few weeks ago, I saw an application review I think on this site about an app to track gas mileage. Does anybody have a link?

I use gnucash on my computer to track my finances. Is there a compatible app for android? Preferably one that can synchronize between the phone and computer.

Last question for now- what's the best video playback software for the phone? The built in one won't play some videos that used to play on my BB.

Thanks in advance!