Phone will autoconnect to a dead network - happened to you?

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Let me know of this has happened to you. I will join a network with a generic name at the gym, for example, and if I happen to go somewhere else that has a network with the same name, my phone will auto connect to it even though the pass key is different or I have to accept an agreement on a webpage to connect.

This has caused me to go for hours without active data because I didn't realize that my phone hopped on a network without internet access rights. You would think that there was a way for the phone to ping the internet to check if there is an 'active' internet connection.

This being the case, I am hesitant to have my phone auto connect to networks...

Any thoughts?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I think this is how all wireless cards work, they try to connect to any ssid they have stored. This is the same for a phone, or a laptop

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My point is this,

I don't like how my phone will connect to another, similarly named network - and that it can't tell the difference when 1) it is ACTUALLY a different network, and 2) when the new network isn't even connecting to an active internet connection.

Thanks,

Matt!

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It can't tell the difference, because of how wifi devices connect to routers. They only care about the SSID, and if there is one, the password. As far as I know, the only the thing that could change that, is the router itself, and that's by only allowing certain MAC id's to connect to it. Again, this is true for computers, phones, tablets....

Try one of two things. First, just manually turn wifi on and off. Second, try Juice defender. I believe you can set it up to learn where you use wifi, and it will turn it on and off by itself. It does a lot of other things as well, but this specifically would help you out. I don't know how well it works, as I've never used it long enough, and also, you have to train it a bit, so it's not automatic out of the box.

Reactions: KillerQ

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante