Constant Hotspot Disconnections

mozygirl

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, love my Rezound. I also added the hotspot feature since I have unlimited data and was able to add unlimited data on the hotspot for only $24 (with discount). Well, I also have another Rezound that its sole purpose is for internet connection, but I am getting disconnected alot and it is very annoying. Sometimes I have to just turn off/on the hotspot feature but other times it hangs up and then I have to restart the phone. I have called Verizon, the first rep said it was a hardware issue and return the phone. Well, the replacement phone is doing the same thing. I then called Verizon back and talked to upper tech, they still have no idea why I keep getting disconnected. I have all the syncing turned off and I have no applications because this is just used for the hotspot ! Yesterday I tested both phones and they both disconnect from the hotspot but get this, they didn't do it at the same time. Wouldn't that mean its not a signal issue since they were side by side? Any ideas? Is this the phone (brand) and will another 4g phone do the same thing? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you!

Last edited:

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the hot spot on my HTC incredible and it worked fine. Make sure you got a good strong signal or it will disconnect.

mozygirl

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing is, I get 4G and it usually 4 bars, maybe sometimes down to 3. Why would one phone disconnect and not the other phone that is sitting right next to it. Computer still says connected so I am still connected to the WiFi but have no internet!

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This is something verizon confirmed as an issue to me on the phone yesterday. Appears to be the same problem that the thunderbolt had in the early days. Nothing can be done to fix it until HTC pushes a software update. I have found using PDANet via usb is very reliable, though i realize not as easy to use as the hotspot. Good luck, and heres hoping for a quick update.

mozygirl

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Wow, should I wait for HTC to release an update or take the phone back before the 15 days. I do use PDA net but I have two sons, one that wants to use Xbox Live and the other with a IPAD that wants to connect. Don't think PDANet would work for either of these situations. Thanks for the reply, appreciate the feedback!

mozygirl

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, just got off phone from HTC, they were useless in providing a fix to the drop connections on hotspot. Blamed it on Verizon and suggested I do a hard reset before they would escalate the problem. Funny thing is, I have two Rezounds, they both drop the connection, both have 4G with 4bars and neither one of them drop the connection at the same time. Sometimes a restart of the hotspot feature is all that is necessary but most of the time, a full restart of the phone is the only way I can get the connection back. HTC did somewhat suggest maybe a software update would fix this, but I don't want to wait for the update only to discover it didn't work and then not be able to return the phone. I really, really love the rezound but really, really need the hotspot to work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what 4G phone works well with the Verizon hotspot?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The phone is new and there are going to be bugs. I would just wait for the update to fix the issue. This phone is too good to take back for something like that.

gigatigga

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I got it on video today where the 4g logo just flashed on and off. This is getting a little annoying to say the least :/

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
it could be radio problems. when the radio drops, the hotspot probably drops as well. i noticed that problem on my tb. the Rezound radio is better than the tb radio when it first came out, but it still isn't as good as the latest tb radio. for me, the Rezound data would occasionally drop, sometimes only for a few seconds, but that may be enough to have a dropped signal. something you can try is to find a Verizon tower, sit under it, and try to use mhs to see if it drops.

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a thunderbolt owner here but thought I could chime in. Mobile hotspot through Verizon has been consistent garbage for me. If I tether with a wired connection I don't get the disconnects like I do with the stock hotspot app though. One thing I can recommend is to root and use something like open garden because that one also seems to work fine without too many disconnects.

Bottom line is it seems that the stock app for mobile hotspot on Verizon HTC phones is just poorly constructed or has bugs. The above workarounds can work as solutions though.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I figured out what my problem was with the Wi-Fi disconnecting. I went into the settings and it was set for Wi-Fi sleep after fifteen minutes. Made the change to never sleep and haven't had an issue since.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Undoubtedly, there is a problem. Mine worked for a few days with no disconnects, but now the network is lost from every few hours to every few minutes. The laptop says that it's connected to the phone, but web pages no longer load. If you disconnect and reconnect (through the laptop), it usually stays connected for awhile, but not for long. Sadly, I have to rely on this (dis)functionality for much of my work. P.S. We don't even have 4g in our area yet.

Last edited:

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to resurrect this thread, after having had constant problems today. My laptop's internet connection would go down every few minutes. Sometimes, switching between "LTE/CDMA" and "CDMA only" would revive it, but only momentarily. Do others still have the same problem? Would it make sense to call Verizon? After all, they charge $30 a month for this.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I whined and complained, but I think I've figured it out that, at least in my case, Easy Battery Saver app, in any mode other than Normal, cuts off the mobile hotspot connection.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Any news on this issue? My Easy Battery Saver "solution" (setting it to Normal) doesn't really help. Oftentimes the hotspot comes alive again all by itself, but not just when I need it for work. Why do we have to pay $30/month for something that's clearly unreliable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21