Can you give me an example of when 4G/LTE is beneficial?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
OK... I have read all the latest posts and people are saying you save a lot of battery charge by using 3G. Can someone give me an example of when 4G is beneficial?

I know that streaming video is one of them. Do you really need it for streaming audio? Other?

Asking seriously. Thanks!

P.

tikicoder

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Anything that uses bandwidth will benefit. Yes streaming Video, and Audio you are less likly to have choppy audio or have to wait for it to buffer. But also Video Chatting, apps that connect to the internet will download the content faster. But what really looks interesting is onLive that basically lets you play console games on your android devices.
OnLive now available for Android and iOS tablets and smartphones | Android Community

But for the Verizon customers the biggest benefit is the fact that 4g phones are duel antennas so you can surf and talk.

Its like asking what is the benefit from going from 56k to High speed internet, or on your home computer if you have a 500kbps download connection and suddenly you were were upgraded to 20mbps,

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
But for the Verizon customers the biggest benefit is the fact that 4g phones are duel antennas so you can surf and talk.

Its like asking what is the benefit from going from 56k to High speed internet, or on your home computer if you have a 500kbps download connection and suddenly you were were upgraded to 20mbps,

I guess it's obvious but I appreciate that you laid it out. I had no idea about the surf and talk!!! That's pretty big. Thanks for that!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
browsing can be faster on 4GLTE as well if you are in an area where 3g is congested. I he Rezound can do voice and data over 3g and 4g. At this time, only htc 4GLTE smartphones can do voice and data simultaneously over 3g on Verizon. 4GLTE smartphones can do voice and data simultaneously over 4GLTE.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
How often do most of you surf and talk at the same time? I know people love this feature, I rarely use my phone calls these days and when I do I don't think to be on the web at the same time. What scenario might this come into play for you? Just curious.

Re: 4g, I don't have it in my area yet, (suburb of NYC, go figure) but when I was on Long Island the other day I looked down and for the first time saw the 4g signal on my notification bar. After testing out web performance, was blown away! What a difference! I don't think I necessarily need that kind of speed on a regular basis and it prefer to preserve my battery, but I'll look forward to switching over to it when I feel the need.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
How about when u want to download a podcast that is about 110 MB and on 3g it takes ffooooorrreeeeeevvvveeeerrrrrr.
Or renting a video on the android market. Especially if u wanna watch it as soon as possible. Rent it. Download it. Make popcorn while downloading. Watch movie.

Sent from my HTC ZETA using Tapatalk

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
It's great for video podcasts. Yesterday I was streaming the verge's podcast, it's almost 2GB in size, no problem with LTE!

Also with audio you can stream with a higher quality bitrate. Both Pandora and Slacker let you select the higher quality audio.

4G is also good when sending media. Upload goes from <500kbps on 3G to ~5Mbps on LTE. This is a big difference.

feralicious

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
How often do most of you surf and talk at the same time? I know people love this feature, I rarely use my phone calls these days and when I do I don't think to be on the web at the same time. What scenario might this come into play for you? Just curious.
If you're making plans with someone and deciding on a movie and checking showtimes. I do it all the time when at home using my laptop, now I can do it on the go!

Or sometimes you just want to look something up that came up in conversation.

How about when u want to download a podcast that is about 110 MB and on 3g it takes ffooooorrreeeeeevvvveeeerrrrrr.
Or renting a video on the android market. Especially if u wanna watch it as soon as possible. Rent it. Download it. Make popcorn while downloading. Watch movie.

Sent from my HTC ZETA using Tapatalk
If you are somewhere where you can make popcorn you should be watching the movie on a TV! ;)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For me it all comes down to web browsing speed as that is primarily what I use my Rezound for. Thanks to Verizon having LTE in my area I get all the speed that I need.

6c2478a7-14b9-0a0b.jpg

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.