Will the stock browser be smoother with ice cream sammy?

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little shocked sometimes when the stock browser on my rezound is, lag and smoothness wise, on the same level as my old thunderbolt. Pinch to zooming, scrolling, tapping. The lag is just confusing considering the power of this phone.

Then i see the nexus. A phone with similar power and ios-like buttery smooth browsing. I read things like this on the nexus forum about the browser:

" When people have historically compared web browser scrolling between Android and iOS, most of the differences they are seeing are not due to hardware accelerated drawing. Originally Android went a different route for its web page rendering and made different compromises: the web page is turned in to a display list, which is continually rendered to the screen, instead of using tiles. This has the benefit that scrolling and zooming never have artifacts of tiles that haven?t yet been drawn. Its downside is that as the graphics on the web page get more complicated to draw the frame rate goes down. As of Android 3.0, the browser now uses tiles, so it can maintain a consistent frame rate as you scroll or zoom, with the negative of having artifacts when newly needed tiles can?t be rendered quickly enough. "

I have no idea what any of it means. Really. This paragraph turns my brain into scrambled eggs the more i read it. I'll just end it with my original question: is it the os that's holding out browser back from greatness? Will it be better for ice cream sammy?

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the slowness you experience when you zoom out of a page in order to see the horizontal view of all the pages, where it lets you switch or "x" out of them?
If you are, then I get what you're talking about. Although it's not lag, it's a design choice. The response time for this action is always the same, regardless of what factors you try and change. It's a piss poor design choice, but it's not lag.
And if you're not talking about this, then, well, disregard my comment.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't experienced lagging on my stock browser... Seems to work good and smooth.

This has been my experience too. I just switched from a Thunderbolt to the Rezound early last week, and right from the start I noticed the browser felt smoother and had less lag, so I'm not sure why your Rezound is behaving so poorly.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any lag on the stock browser but then again I don't use it that often either. I like and use Dolphin HD for most of my web browsing.

SoulWeaponry

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the slowness you experience when you zoom out of a page in order to see the horizontal view of all the pages, where it lets you switch or "x" out of them?
If you are, then I get what you're talking about. Although it's not lag, it's a design choice. The response time for this action is always the same, regardless of what factors you try and change. It's a piss poor design choice, but it's not lag.
And if you're not talking about this, then, well, disregard my comment.

Not really, but that is interesting to note. Why would the appearance of...slowness/choppyness be a design choice? That's just weird to me. I have no doubt you're right considering it does this even when i'm on basic text pages that don't require any major resources.

There's a slight lag sometimes scrolling/pinch to zooming. It's only sometimes and it's not consistent. Generally the browser is zippy but putting this next to a galaxy nexus or a galaxys2 (especially european version with exynos) and you see the difference.

ppeklak

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
pinch to zoom on the nexus and phones with hardware acceleration like the galaxy s2 will have smoother performance than the rezound until the rezound gets ICS

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Any browser lag will be gone with the ICS update, yes.

Try loading the Verge's full site. It'll lag. I've seen the Nexus lag badly on that site.

I've already tested various sites on my Evo 3D for scrolling and zooming speed vs what I've seen in Nexus videos, and it's definitely smoother than my 1.2 ghz dual core snapdragon. I'm not sure if that's down to ICS or the TI chip, but either way it's better. I don't think the Nexus' browser is a smooth as the SGS2, although it is quite a bit faster. Which is a shame, because I'm willing to bet that ICS with the Mali 400 GPU from the SGS2 would be the first totally lag free Android phone.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Try loading the Verge's full site. It'll lag. I've seen the Nexus lag badly on that site.

That's a dissapointment. My SGS1 with an early ICS port has surprisingly minor lag on that site. Nearly no scrolling lag most of the time, and only mild zooming lag on the full page.

google123

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
its probably the sense bloat. my Inc has zero lag on it and the hardware on it is inferior to the Rezound but I also run cyanogenmod on my phone so.. .....

georgekn3mp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
lol want to see lag? Change the User Agent in Dolphin HD from Android" to "desktop" and watch Javascript load....or try to access Hulu lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781