BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that Beats is more than a gimmick? I used the included ear buds with the stock player and was blown away last night with the sound. I guess I like the heavy bass sound.

The stock music player limitation is exactly that - a limitation. However, I always prefer to sync my own music and listen that way anyway versus Pandora or something along those lines. Just surprised that everyone is so negative on Beats, especially considering that the phone is awesome by itself without Beats.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that Beats is more than a gimmick? I used the included ear buds with the stock player and was blown away last night with the sound. I guess I like the heavy bass sound.

The stock music player limitation is exactly that - a limitation. However, I always prefer to sync my own music and listen that way anyway versus Pandora or something along those lines. Just surprised that everyone is so negative on Beats, especially considering that the phone is awesome by itself without Beats.

You'll find that most of the people who bad mouth Beats, don't even own a pair or the Rezound. The people who do like it, own one of the two or both.
When an interesting addition gets added to a product people don't plan on buying, they cry "omg marketing gimmick! ______ sucks so bad anyway!"
When this addition is added to something they like, it turns into "Wow. I was gonna get this already, but adding _____ is a nice surprise! Awesome product!"

If Beats were in the Razr and Nexus, you'd hear no bad mouthing on this board. And if you did, you'd be wise to ignore it, because only a fool would complain about a $100 addition to an already $300 product (Beats or not) without any price increase to the consumer.

Last edited:

Egnix

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I own a Rezound and I think Beats is a gimmick. I haven't used the Beats headphones, but with my headphones ($300 Shure, $250 Grado, $25 Sony), music always sounded bad when I turned on Beats Audio. I was actually surprised how bad Beats made the music sound.

Think of it this way: Beats "flavors" the sound. I'm sure some people will like that flavor. Perhaps the Beats flavor tastes/sounds better with certain types of music. It certainly isn't a natural taste/sound, which I prefer.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Quite possibly...I listen to hard rock music which is typically pretty heavy on the bass anyway.

I own a Rezound and I think Beats is a gimmick. I haven't used the Beats headphones, but with my headphones ($300 Shure, $250 Grado, $25 Sony), music always sounded bad when I turned on Beats Audio. I was actually surprised how bad Beats made the music sound.

Think of it this way: Beats "flavors" the sound. I'm sure some people will like that flavor. Perhaps the Beats flavor tastes/sounds better with certain types of music. It certainly isn't a natural taste/sound, which I prefer.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I definitely appreciate it. I've played around with using an equalizer to simulate it, and while I can get kinda close, Beats definitely sounds clearer and less distorted than an attempt to duplicate via equalizer.

I like lots of electronica, but no-beat ambient as well as beat-heavy stuff, and while the beats audio (not so surprisingly) makes a more noticeable difference on the harder stuff, it also makes for a more spacious and pleasant sound on the no-beat ambient music.

While I too already had some expensive in-ear phones that are a bit better than the included beats ones, the beats ones are nevertheless quite good and they happen to fit my ear really well using the largest of the included tips.

Overall I'm very happy with the audio capabilities, they are the best of any cell phone I've ever had, and rival some of my former dedicated MP3 players. I just hope at least some of the bigger 3rd party music providers (and esp. services like Spotify and/or Rhapsody) take advantage of the API going forward.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I hate to put it like this but to me, beats will cease to be a gimmick when it's built into more than just the stock music player. Build it into Google Music, Pandora, Netflix, etc...Give me something more than 1 app and tell me I should be happy. Keep in mind that this gripe does come from someone that understands that they created their own DSP for this and it's the 3rd parties that need to build for Beats.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't buy a product that just says Beats Audio since a lot of headphones in that price range sounds the same. They all sound great. I do see reviews of people review them and saying it's not worth it and blah blah. But they are comparing $500 headphones to $100 headphones which I would say it doesn't match up.

I own a set of Bose IE2 and compared to the Beats, I like the comfort of the Bose much better which was important to me but Beats sounded slightly better. It might be a gimmick but try it before you rag on it. And don't make impression based of what you hear at the stores since they are all mostly messed up from people not caring about them.

Having beats on the device does not make me want it more or less.

But whats selling me on the Rezound is the removable battery AND memory, not just one or the other like the Razr or Nexus. I have been going back and fourth on the Razr and Nexus that I forgot about the Rezound. Plus the Rezound is cheaper if you break it down. Phone cost is about $200-$250 since the headphones probably goes for $50-$100.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463