1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Petition Verizon to allow unlocking of HTC bootloaders

Didn't see this posted here...
    From the :
    Please read sign, and share the following petition.

With enough signatures, this can work. This is the same method that was used with HTC and resulted in the acknowledgement by the CEO, and the promise of unlocked boot loaders for all phones from now on.

Verizon is trying to protect us from ourselves, they claim that allowing the phones to be unlocked would "hurt" us, as we would not be able to get "excellent customer service" should we ever need troubleshooting advice from them.

We all know that we understand the risk associated custom software and roms, as well as unlocking and changing critical software. We can choose to participate, or choose to leave our phones as Verizon shipped them.

We want the ability to CHOOSE what we do with our phones, not to have VZW protect us from ourselves. Giving us the option to unlock is not the same as shipping the phones in an unlocked state... We simply want the option.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Petition Verizon to allow unlocking of HTC bootloaders

Unfortunately, this kind of stuff has fallen on deaf ears at corporate for years, most notably and recent, the GN. They have a love affair w/ $$ they accquire from carrier locked bloat. They won#t do it willingly, so it's pointless. They put bloat on a Nexus for Petes sake. I totally understand the sentiment, though. I hated reading the HtcDevs release of the kernels for about every new release, except the Rezound, yesterday. They love crapping on us, so it made me wish I got stuck in an elevator w/ Big Reds execs, after a few bowls of chilli w/ extra beans in it. To see if they appreciate the stench of mine.

I want HTC Hub as well
    Last edited by edgesalon; 12-21-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Whether it is in vain or not, it is ~25 seconds of your time to click the link and sign for the cause of freeing your handset. Let's set a precedent with the Rezound because there is no logical excuse for Verizon to lock Moto or HTC phones when the Nexus is easily unlocked.

Signed. Verizon is really pissing me off lately.

signed.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

signed, not a fan of the apple-esque design they have taken here lately

Signed, "we're not as dumb as you think we are."

I'm glad to see the # of signatures but if you want results, you need volume if you wanna be heard. We are a negligible, niche demographic to them. They lie about why they are locking their boots, return the favor. Pad the numbers, ask friends to sign the thing as a favor. Verizon won't know the ruse, they'll just see the numbers. It took thousands to get OEMs to acknowledge our issue, it would take 10x that amount to put the issue back on the table for a carrier. Every 4g consumer needs to be aware of the plight, regardless of their interest in the rom community. It's an unfair practice, that just further tightens Big Reds constricting restrictions on the people paying their bills. If you saw the number of people who tried this during the pre release of the GN . It's easy to see that we are microscopic, in comparison, to those numbers. If you seriously wanna impact them, bury them in signature numbers that can demand a policy change. 292, as of right now, is a pace that will take more time than it's worth, just to even get within earshot of Big Red.

This post is somewhat on topic, however it was a dead end. I did receive a letter from Verizon telling me I can go pound salt.

-kesnik

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    OG Droid (The beginning of my smartphone obsession)
    Thunderbolt (The pitfall of early adoption)
    Galaxy Nexus (Toro-Cyanogenmod!)
    Galaxy S IV (Pre-ordered for Verizon)

Signed. Also, I've filed a BBB complaint to Verizon.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by muratmozdemir View Post
    Over the bootloader? Are you for real?

^Thia has to be a candidate for silliest post of 2011. I like the fact you aid the cause, but really, the BBB? What could you possibly expect them to do to convince Big Red to unlock boots. Might as well, go file a complaint on Angies List while your at it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The BBB's response: what's a boot loader?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Signed, and le bump.

Its probably silly to you yes, but you should be able to voice your concerns in any way possible. Verizon shouldn't lock the phones we've paid for and put crap bloatware on it we cannot otherwise get rid of completely, hence the reason for the BBB complaint, for crapware on the phones that you can't remove.

I think enough of us complained enough to the point where they've unlocked the bootloader anyways. BBB may not know what a bootloader is, Verizon does.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Its probably silly to you yes, but you should be able to voice your concerns in any way possible. Verizon shouldn't lock the phones we've paid for and put crap bloatware on it we cannot otherwise get rid of completely, hence the reason for the BBB complaint, for crapware on the phones that you can't remove.

I think enough of us complained enough to the point where they've unlocked the bootloader anyways. BBB may not know what a bootloader is, Verizon does.
    You're abusing the BBB process. They don't care and can't help. Its a stupid waste of time.

I get why you'd turn to.the. BBB as a consumer advocacy group. Right or wrong, Verizon has a right to do what they do w/ their phones. It's not like they force it upon you to buy the phone. So technicallly it ultimately ends up being more nuisance to the BBB than a hindrance of consumer rights they can take action upon.