Do SMS message's always go through mobile network?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This isn't necessarily a Rezound question but... I happen to be staying in the canyons of Los Angeles for the holiday and a mobile network connection to Verizon is almost non-existent. I do have a WiFi connection. What exactly happens when I send a text message? Does WiFi turn off momentarily or does it go through Wifi or do both mobile and WiFi connections exist simultaneously?

Excuse my ignorance.

...Sent from my Tab

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
They exist simultaneously, but carrier SMS always goes though the network. The only way to text with wifi is a messenger app like kik or whatsapp, or google voice. At least that's what I've come to learn.

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
SMS messages always go through the carrier's network, never through wi-fi. So if there is poor signal in an area, you'd be out of luck unfortunately. As mentioned before, you can use third party services to text people. Keep in mind, that those would have different phone numbers, not the phone number given to you by your carrier.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
if you have T-Mobile and a phone that supports wifi calling I believe all GSM functions including text go over wifi (I was able to text in an out of service area in Afghanistan anyway).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool