FYI Great GPS Battery/Data Saver

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
FYI if you use Google Maps to navigate, there is a killer feature that has been active in Google Labs for months now.

Enable it in Settings>Labs

the Pre-Cache Maps setting.

you basically just hold a point on the map until an address pops up, then click that pop up and now you can cache that area locally on your sd card. it does a 10x10 square mile tile from the middle of the address you chose. you can cache up to 10 tiles. so that is 1000 square miles. i found it also good to enable the scale thing in labs too, this way i could gauge the 10 miles better so i could have the tiles barely overlap.

i live in northern nj by the city so i pre-cached this whole area plus a bunch of nj to the west and south where i drive 99% of the time. this is also great for nyc as sometimes in the tall buildings gps is flaky, although this rezound's GPS is very strong (one reason i went with Rezound over Nexus as samsung is bad with GPS)

this way when you drive or walk, you are not using nearly as much batter and pretty much no data. two birds, one stone. especially good for those with limited data plans.

enjoy!

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
this would also be useful if you go overseas or any other area where you potentially have no cell service. haven't tested it yet but if i go to italy next summer i will download the entire tile around rome and it should work even with no data signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007