What is the reality of 4g?

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Rezound is obviously my first 4g phone hence my first experience with 4g.
I get 4g about two thirds of the time. I am almost always in the Phoenix metro area. But, sometimes I don't get it when I definitely should. I am sitting in a coffee shop next to a window in Downtown Phoenix with a 1x connection.

Do those of you in big cities have the same experience?

...sent from my Rezound

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is currently "aggressively expanding" their 4G coverage. On their website there is a map which displays current connection areas, and areas soon to be connected. They're still transitioning their towers over to 4G, so some people are subject to temporary coverage, spotty coverage, or no 4G coverage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I was sitting here going wtf, no 4G, my friend with a tb has 4G, and I'm stuck on 3G. Few minutes later my friend's tb goes to 3G as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
sometimes I have to manually force lte on using the lte onoff app or similar. although, as said above, the lte is down. if you are getting 1x, try lte only with voice, if that doesn't work, try cdma auto prl.

If that doesn't work, then most likely, it means lte and ehprd (3G) are down. you can force it to rev. A (3G) by doing the following and it may work.

1. Dial ##778#
  2. Press Call button
  3. The password is 000000
  4. Choose Edit Mode
  5. Go to Modem Settings
  6. Choose Rev A
  7. Switch from eHRPD to Enable
  8. Press OK
  9. Commit Modifications (reboot phone off/on)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses! I just read about the outrage after seeing it here so I guess I shouldn't complain too much yet.

...Sent from my Tab

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Just be thankful you guys have a 4g network. It will become more reliable gradually. I am with Sprint and live in a city with almost 800,000 residents and we still don't have WiMAX, let alone even a solid 3G data source. I would be tickled to have 4g LTE for even a few days a week. Remember that it could be much worse!

jpena53

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just be thankful you guys have a 4g network. It will become more reliable gradually. I am with Sprint and live in a city with almost 800,000 residents and we still don't have WiMAX, let alone even a solid 3G data source. I would be tickled to have 4g LTE for even a few days a week. Remember that it could be much worse!

You must live in a terrible town because Sacramento and Stockton, hell even Yuba City ( A city of 100,000) has Wimax for me. Stockton has what 250k?

All kidding aside, Wimax is cool and all but if you are around wifi all day then it don't even matter.

Quinn1981

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The coverage in Knoxville, TN is amazingly good. I get coverage a bit out of the city limits on the interstate. Speeds are also really good.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
sometimes I have to manually force lte on using the lte onoff app or similar. although, as said above, the lte is down. if you are getting 1x, try lte only with voice, if that doesn't work, try cdma auto prl.

If that doesn't work, then most likely, it means lte and ehprd (3G) are down. you can force it to rev. A (3G) by doing the following and it may work.

1. Dial ##778#
  2. Press Call button
  3. The password is 000000
  4. Choose Edit Mode
  5. Go to Modem Settings
  6. Choose Rev A
  7. Switch from eHRPD to Enable
  8. Press OK
  9. Commit Modifications (reboot phone off/on)

DO NOT DO THIS.. .....3G on a smartphone is higher than the REV A Again............DON"T DO THIS

You want to keep it as it is originally on your device and if you feel the need to mess with your phone then call Verizon. I used to sell wireless You are messing with a setting and you could cause more issues with your signal.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I do keep mine on 3G because I reside in a 3G area, when I am at work......in the Biltmore area in Phoenix I am at work.......and being at work I am not on my phone
I never have issues with the 3G and it runs fine

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT DO THIS.. .....3G on a smartphone is higher than the REV A Again............DON"T DO THIS

You want to keep it as it is originally on your device and if you feel the need to mess with your phone then call Verizon. I used to sell wireless You are messing with a setting and you could cause more issues with your signal.

Only do it if you are getting no 3G or 4G LTE. This will be better than 1x. After its over, you can simply undo the change.